Seized open turnbuckle

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ronkberg

Seized open turnbuckle

Post by ronkberg »

Any experts in how to release a seized open turnbuckle. The "T" end is seized and none of my available sprays have had any effect. The two pieced are bronze and I wonder if applying heat to the turnbuckle might cause expansion and thus release the "T". If so, will be compromise the strength of the turnbuckle? The application is for the shrouds and I am considering swapping with a fore or aft stay and leaving it seized.

Any expert advice?

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

Ron:

My first choice would be PB Blaster. Second choice would be Liquid Wrench. Third choice probably some heat. I had bronze open turnbuckles on my '71 Ty and never really had this problem. Use two wrenches as you probably know, one to immobilize and the other to turn. Good luck.

Jim
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Try Aero Kroil or a few drops of brake fluid.. Do not get the brake fluid on anything you want to keep. If that fails then a little heat might help. You might also try holding a bucking bar on one side and smacking the turnbuckle with a hammer. Do not hit it hard enough to deform it. Many times the shock wave will loosen up the joint.
Have A Nice Day
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

#1 Put some anhydrous lanolin on all you turnbuckle threads and you won't have any problems.

#2 Ok you didn't read #1 early enough. I also think Kroil or PB Blaster work rather well. Spray and then tap with a hammer (lightly) try to unscrew. Wait a day repeat #2. Patience is a virtue it may take a week but all of a sudden one day it will just happen. Dean and I just talked about this earlier today.

#3 Heat and cold. Heat the turnbuckle body, cool the "T" end. Try a heat gun and some ice, then spray with one of the above. You don't need to go crazy with the heat, jsut enough to cause the body to expand.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
ronkberg

Seized open turnbuckle

Post by ronkberg »

Guys, thanks for the responses. I have tried PB Blaster and WD-40 but no luck. I now plan to try one of the solutions that I've pirated from another thread as listed below. The link to a biker thread is interesting and I plan to try the ATF-Acetone mix and supplement it with heat and some gentle persuasion with a hammer. I have been offered a replacement turnbuckle by one of the CDSOA members, and will use that but the challenge of freeing this seized one has my interest.

Stay tuned and I will report back when I have success......or break the damn thing!

Ron

" Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil .......... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ............ 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix............ 53 pounds

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20131.0 "
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine