Cure for 2 foot-itis

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Cure for 2 foot-itis

Post by Markst95 »

Having a Typhoon I am very susceptible to 2-5-10-15 foot-itis. It can be very difficult to recover from this deadly disease, especially at this time of year. It doesn't help that I like to overnight on the boat and I'm 6'1" and 200+++,,+ pounds. I however have found the cure right here on this board. All I need to do is search a few keywords like "plumbing problem" "Diesel Problems" "installing new water tanks" and read the volume of work (and Money) needed to solve these problems and Voila! I'm Cured! Let me be the first of the Typhoon owners to thank you guys with the larger CDs on this invaluable service.

(Now if I can only remember these valuable lessons when I've just clobbered my head on the cabintop trying to get out of those tiny #$%^ bunks...)

Typhoon = Happiness.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You have not been cured. The symptoms might have briefly gone away but they will return. I believe 2 footitis is pretty much incurable once it sets in, Steve.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Mine gets cured when I dive on the bottom or scrub the deck or deal with the teak...25 feet is plenty big enough!
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

rtbates wrote:Mine gets cured when I dive on the bottom or scrub the deck or deal with the teak...25 feet is plenty big enough!
Amen Randy. The wisdom of that statement seems clearer as the years pile up.
M. R. Bober

Re: Cure for 2 foot-itis

Post by M. R. Bober »

Markst95 wrote:Having a Typhoon I am very susceptible to 2-5-10-15 foot-itis. It can be very difficult to recover from this deadly disease, especially at this time of year. It doesn't help that I like to overnight on the boat and I'm 6'1" and 200+++,,+ pounds. I however have found the cure right here on this board. All I need to do is search a few keywords like "plumbing problem" "Diesel Problems" "installing new water tanks" and read the volume of work (and Money) needed to solve these problems and Voila! I'm Cured! Let me be the first of the Typhoon owners to thank you guys with the larger CDs on this invaluable service.

(Now if I can only remember these valuable lessons when I've just clobbered my head on the cabintop trying to get out of those tiny #$%^ bunks...)

Typhoon = Happiness.
Perhaps a CD330 would equal greater happiness? :wink:

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where much happiness is available), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

And just think how easily you will float with your wallet that much lighter!!
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
nikon4004

2foot itis

Post by nikon4004 »

Bigger IS better??????
Steve
Nikon3003
Lorain Ohio
chase

6 footitis

Post by chase »

God only knows how many of us troll yachtworld etc looking at boats. :D Bigger boats, smaller boats, our same boats to see what others are selling or looking at outfitting... But mostly bigger boats.

Luckily I've talked myself out of a bigger boat, it would have been the nail in the coffin for my pre-retirement sailing career. A 37 yo farmer 400 miles from the coast, I had no business looking at bigger boats. A friend/mentor of mine, James Baldwin, who twice circumnavigated in his Alberg designed s/v Atom (Pearson Triton), urged me to think about the realities of bigger boat ownership.

Were my teenagers really going to sail with me each year for a significant amount of time or would a thirty footer be ok for a week or so each year? When they are in college, will they be sailing with us frequently? I came to the conclusion that my 30 footer was the perfect boat for singlehanding or one crew, and the occasional extras worked just fine with proper trip planning and some adjusting. Furthermore, James urged me to really evaluate the extra maintenance. Sails, rigging, docklines, ground tackle/windlass, everything costs so much more.

I am really comfortable handling the CD30, can dock it easily enough, can sneak into 4.5-6' deep anchorages, handle all the sails alone and can weigh anchor hand over hand in all but the stiffest of breezes when I dont really want to go anywhere. I can prep and get two coats of bottom paint on, polish and wax the topsides and service the seacocks in a three day haulout if the weather is right, and actually relax a little too. In five days once I did all of this plus the teak, cutless bearing, and basically renovated the gelcoat. I guess it is all relative, but I like the idea of the simplest, smallest boat that does the job.

Two feet itis, is a comical moniker, it really is an affliction of sorts. Mine's in remission but I sneak a look from time to time when I hear about a great yacht, so I have to "survey the market" for future reference. :) Chance favors the prepared, the old man told me....
russkendall

2 ft itis...

Post by russkendall »

Is it about the boat or is it about the places your boat can take you?

Our CD30c is perfect for our family of 2 adults and one nearly 6 yr old. We sail to different islands most summer weekends. Then we row ashore, hike, explore, row back. Bigger would not take us farther or in more comfort. How many nearly 6 yr olds do you know who can drive a 30 ft boat?
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

two footitis

Post by trapper »

A sage on this board, I am not sure which one, probably Oswego John-- once said:

Never buy more boat than you NEED! Buy the smallest boat you can get by with.

-- I thought about it long and hard and finally succumbed to three footitis and moved from a CD22 to a CD25D.

I have to admit that I did not NEED the 25D, while I love her, there is never a day that I do not miss the CD22 which I also loved. I wish I could have both. If I had both, I bet I would sail the 22 and sleep on the 25D.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I would add to this not to buy less boat that you need. Not that we rally need a boat at all.

I had only ever had dinghys all my life until I bought a Typhoon. The Ty was great for day sailing and you could stay over night. When I found I wanted to do muti day trips, the Ty got too small fast.

I considered a CD-25 or 27 but am glad I didn't go up in small increments. Sometimes I wish I would have been able to handle a foot or two more at the time but I am holding onto Raven unless my situation changes drastically.

I think the most expensive aspect of 2footitis is upgrading a multitude of boats along the way.

Better to have one good case of 6footitis than being constantly afflicted with the 2foot variety.

I wouldn't start over again with another boat for less than a 6 foot change, Steve.