Boomkicker Info Requested

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ray Garcia

Boomkicker Info Requested

Post by Ray Garcia »

Any CD27 owners using a boomkicker on your boat? What size and your thoughts? Easy to install? Installed pics?

I'm thinking about adding one.

Thanks

-Ray
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I've got one for a few years now. Holds the boom up very nicely and it allowed me to get rid of my topping lift....that was always getting in the way. Makes it easy to reef too as the mainsail can just be lower the required amount and the reefing lines tensioned without having to deal with a topping lift.

My only criticism, and its minor as far as I'm concern is that I have a standard block and tackle vang below the boomkicker and its a bear to tighten up on the vang very much because the boomkicker can be very stiff. I suppose a vang with greater mechanical advantage might do away with that problem. In the photo below you can see the boomkicker as the top piece going between the lower mast and the bottom of the boom. Those lines under the kicker are the lines of the vang.

The installation is pretty easy. I didn't do it but had the yard do it because at the time I had no time to get it done.

Not the best picture but its all I have. Notice no topping lift!!

"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Ray Garcia

Thanks Warren

Post by Ray Garcia »

The picture really helped. I was wondering if the kicker would hit the dodger.

I'm now going to make a presentation before my one woman board of directors and see if my purchase gets approved.

Thanks again!

-R
barfwinkle

Re: Boomkicker Info Requested

Post by barfwinkle »

Warren specifically, others generally. GA

Warren what are your thoughts on the boomkicker after all the years?

anyone else with input?

TIA & Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I confess I'm always tweaking sail position and trim. Everywhere on the boat EXCEPT using the vang. If I touch the vang once a sailing season it's a lot.

I mentioned in my first post (4 years ago!!) that with the kicker It was a bear to trim the boom with the vang unless one with greater mechanical advantage was used. Yeah! I could have trimmed the vang but I got lazy.

So, I like the kicker for ridding me of the topping lift and making reefing and dousing the main at the end of the day quicker and easier. I'm sure with the proper vang downwind boom trimming would be easy too.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

GA Warren

Do you think a 6:1 vang would do the trick? I love the idea of getting rid of the topping lift, and like you I also use the vang as intended and would hate to loose that control. As I happens the vang tackle I currently use came off of my Catalina and could stand some upgrading.

TIA

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Warren Kaplan

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I'm sure a 6:1 vang would make trimming the boom a piece of cake even with a boom kicker installed.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Beautiful boat.
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam