Mystic Rose will summer in the Chesapeake

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

darmoose
Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose will summer in the Chesapeake

Post by darmoose »

Saturday,4/10/2010, marks the beginning of our 1200 mile trip from Lighthouse Point in South Florida up to the Magothy river on the western shore of the bay. Preperations have been underway for many months. I,ve made lists of "to do's", and ultimately lists of lists, and "knock on wood" all is ready for departure.

As we have not ventured further North than Stewart,Fl previously, and I have never sailed on the Chesapeake Bay, I am seeking advice and comments about the trip up the Intercoastal (favorite anchorages, marinas, places to see).

Secondly, places to visit this summer on the bay. We would like to make one to two week trips leaving out of the Magothy river between May and October.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.

Darrell :D
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Darrell,

I can't help you on that coast, but I sure hope you have a great sail!!!

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
MFC
Hull No.128

Osprey Marina

Post by MFC »

Hey Darrell -

I have to confess, I wish I had been offshore a lot more on my trip north last fall. Still, the trip was great and there are a few places that really stood out.

I'd have to say my favorite marina was Osprey Marina just south of Myrtle Beach SC. Great people, inexpensive and cheaper the longer you stay and near enough to civilization (you'd never know it from the waterway) that you can stay an extra day or two and rent car to go to west marine or restaurants in myrtle or a whole bunch of spots you'll probably be yearning for by about then. I had a car company drop a car off for me at the marina (enterprise?).

Beaufort SC was a neat little town. The downtown marina was a decent deal with good facilities and an easy walk into town (you can anchor right next door for free and maybe pay a couple buck for the facilities if you prefer). It takes a couple hours to reach Beaufort coming off the ocean -- not sure from the ICW (it may be right on the waterway). Again, great people (its just anecdotal, but the percentage of ridiculously nice folks seemed to drop off when we got to NC where the waterways were more congested and felt more like I am used to at home here in the NE).

Norfolk is fun. Plenty of places to dock, but you can anchor at Hospital Point for free.

Take some time and identify all the free docking opportunities along the way. There are more than you expect -- and where you least expect them. I definitely wish I'd done more recon on this before setting out -- once you're underway, there is never as much time to plan as you expect there will be. Tying up at the free dock in Oriental is a way better way to meet people than pulling into a marina a quarter mile away.

Don't sweat the details too much -- the best times are the ones you aren't expecting. Enjoy.

Matt
jerryaxler

Chesapeake

Post by jerryaxler »

We are located in Rock Hall and we anchored in the Magothy over the weekend. I would get the Cruising the Chesapeake guide that is put out by the Chesapeake Bay Magazine. It has a description of most of the best anchorages on the Bay. From your location on the Magothy you are within a days sail of Baltimore,Annapolis, St Michaels and literally dozens of beautiful anchorages. A two week sail allows you to see most of the Bay north of the Rapahannock with too many places to visit to mention in a short note. I'm staying on the Bay this year for the first time in a few summers, so if you want to contact me we could raft up and discuss the possibilities.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Darrell,

There are a few towns/cities that should be on your list: Annapolis, Baltimore, St Michaels, Oxford, Chestertown, Have DeGrace, Rock Hall, Kent Island, Solomen I. Never been to Washington by water, a long river trip. Many anchorages, Shaw Bay, Balls Creek. If the jelly fish are prevalent heat north for swimming.

+1 on the Chesapeake Crusing Guide. Almost as good as the Maine Coast Guide.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Darrell,

If you make it to the Northern Chesapeake (that's Magothy, too), you might consider joining the CDSOA June 11- 19 cruise. Check the events page on this site.

BTW, we keep our boat just north of the Magothy on Bodkin Creek at the entrance to the Patapsco River.

Bob
MarcMcCarron

Summer on the bay

Post by MarcMcCarron »

Afternoon thunderstorms can be severe and repetitive.
Have a plan for nasty heat-spells - the air can be still.
Explore the Chester River - a must.
Annapolis is a great place to spend a weekend or a week.
Eastern Shore areas are great destinations.

I have a CD30K also, hope to see you on the water!
MARC MCCARRON
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Darrell...

it is with a little bit of sadness that I will think of Mystic Rose sailing away up to those far away places. BUT...what a thrill it must be, to finally get on your beautiful vessel, cast those lines off for real and sail away! I know Mystic Rose is thoroughly prepared, ready and able to do that trip and whatever else you may ask of her and she will be a most wonderful partner in your adventure. We will miss you down here. My regards to your First Mate, and may both of you enjoy a fantastic trip and kind winds.

It would be fun for us if we can follow your travels and post pictures and comments along the way.

zeida
Bandolera II
Zeida
CDSOA Member
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Zeida

Post by darmoose »

Thank you for those good wishes... I am sorry that we haven't had the opportunity to visit with you on Biscayne bay in a while. :( Janet and I both so enjoyed the time we spent with you, and watching you sail Bandolera II all by your little self (you are quite something. :wink:

I have finally retired, and yes I have been preparing Mystic Rose for quite a while for this journey, I think she is ready and today we all but finished loading her up for Saturdays departure. Our original plan was to sell the house here and move to the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake (Rock Hall), but what with the real estate "bust", we haven't been able to sell, so we are moving on to plan "B" which is to "snowbird" until the market gets better.

I have arranged a slip on the Magothy near my daughters house where we will play with the grandkids and sail the summer away and we will see what next Fall brings.

I will attempt to post some updates of our progress on the board, but unless Janet learns how to do pictures, that may not be in the cards ( I ain't no O.J.) :?

Have a great Summer on the bay!

Darrell :)
chase

top three picks

Post by chase »

Hi Darrel, super jealous here, that’s gonna be a great trip. What fun to show up in Magothy by boat! Hope it is a great voyage and you enjoy your time there.

Heres my top three, they are not really ports and have no provisions or marinas, but are near them. All but Cape Romain are convenient to all-weather inlets. These are great places to anchor, relax, explore. From S to N:

1 Cumberland Island- great anchorage, miles of beaches, some historical sites. Near Fernandina. We've spent several weeks in this anchorage in the winter.

2 Cape Romain- almost did not add this one because it is remote and the water is skinny. It is a National Wildlife Refuge N of Charleston and you can count on a quiet anchorage. I have motored or sailed most of the back creeks there including Papas, Santee and Key to access Romain River-charted depths in these can show as little as 4' but I have traveled them all at dead low tide. From there you can dinghy to Lighthouse Island, you'll have it to yourself. For future trips, note that there is a huge oyster bed there, easy pickins at low tide. You may see some of the McMClellanville shrimp fleet in Five Fathom Creek and you'll want to just give them plenty of room.

3 Cape Lookout- Near Beaufort NC, it is a couple hours sail offshore and is a piece of cake in good conditions. The anchorage is huge and lots of seashore. I would spend several days in the Beaufort/Cape Lookout area, you will probably like it a lot. The Maritime Museum there has a full library of boating periodicals and books, I go in for the AC from time to time and just to be there. They used to offer a loaner car to sailors for free but no more. First time I happened into Beaufort, we needed provisions and I was just beside myself that this place offered a car to cruisers, free of charge. Ever since then I have loved the town, the anchorage, the characters and the inlet.

Hope this helps, sure was fun to write and think about for a few minutes.

Fair Winds-

Chase
mike ritenour

Best of luck

Post by mike ritenour »

Darrell,

Your embarking on an awesome trip.

Just in case, its slipped the onboard library, I'd suggest purchasing a copy of Skipper Bob's ICW guide. Its a very valuable reference tool and the one that I found superior to all the other guides.

When you get to the grasslands of Georgia and South Carolina take some to venture into the back channels and enjoy the peace and tranquility they offer. Take along a crab trap and some chicken necks and you'll be well rewarded with some awesome dining.

As for the Bay, its a lifetime experience and given a lifetime I don't think a sailor could fully explore all of its dimensions and beauty.

Fair Winds and if your utilizing the ICW alll the way, please pay attention to the markers and shoaling depths, especially from Coinjock, NC to Norfolk, Va.

Keep it upright!

Rit
Russell

Post by Russell »

Dont forget to get tow insurance from BoatUS if you do not already have it, a must have for the ICW and the Chesapeake.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
MFC
Hull No.128

Oh Coinjock

Post by MFC »

There is a restaurant / Marina in Coinjock -- on the eastern bank -- that has the best damn crab stuffed mushrooms (among other things) in the world. I think most people go there for the steaks; the megayachts apparently reserve cuts instead of tables but I am not a steak guy . . .. The food is unexpectedly awesome. I second that boat US tow package. I bumped along the Aligator Pungo canal and it was only luck that got me through without a hard grounding.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Russell wrote
Dont forget to get tow insurance from BoatUS if you do not already have it, a must have for the ICW and the Chesapeake.
Do not make the mistake of not having unlimited towing insurance..... Been there done that got the credit card bill....... :cry:
Bill Member #250.