Mast attachment for Vang Bail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dsholler

Mast attachment for Vang Bail

Post by dsholler »

I have a typhoon weekender with the mast on a tabernacle, and the original exit sheave fitting. I am planning to attach a vang this year, and wanted to know if anyone had advice about the placement of the bail on the mast. I talked with the folks at Rig-rite, and they said that the load was light enough to just through-bolt the bail.

I wanted advice about how to get it as low as possible without damaging the sheave fitting. Anyone done this before?
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Do a search for "typhoon boom vang" through the archives and you will find a few ideas. A couple I remember were to use a sail slug as an attachment point below the halyard exits or to strap on an eye with large stainless pipe clamps.
Jeff D

Mast Attachment for Vang

Post by Jeff D »

I have a Ty Daysailer (which has external halyards). I rigged a vang three years ago using a through bolted bail that I purchased from Rig Rite - pretty simple and effective.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

There is an instruction sheet on the CDSOA web site. I am not sure it covers the Ty or not but its there. Also, there is a recent post on the subject that has a link to those instructions. Sorry I dont have time to search right now, but the information is there somewhere.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
dsholler

Vang INstructions

Post by dsholler »

I saw several posts that referred to a website with some vang instructions, but that site was on Geocities and is no longer in existence as far as I can tell.

If there are instructions on the CDSOA website, I cannot find them (frankly, I cannot find anything on there.. but that may just be me )

If anyone happens to know what bill is talking about and can post a pointer, I would greatly appreciate it.

My main concern is how to do the mast attachment, and get it as low as possible.

Dan
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Vang Instructions

Post by jbenagh »

Take a look at the last page of http://capedory.org/manuals/CD25-1978-Manual.pdf

Jeff
Jim Buck

vang instructions

Post by Jim Buck »

While this post does not show exactly how to attach, it does give measurements and some instruction which may help your decision:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... +buck+vang

Best of luck,
Jim
Jim Buck
Member #1004