Looking for Cape Dory 25D - Very Good to Bristol Condition

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Looking for Cape Dory 25D - Very Good to Bristol Condition

Post by Sea Hunt »

I am making this post to again publish my interest in a Cape Dory 25D. I am looking for one that is in very good to Bristol condition with few, if any, modifications.

As some (many :?: ) of you know, I have been searching for a Cape Dory 25D for some time. Unfortunately I have missed several opportunities to become the caretaker/custodian of several excellent CD 25Ds. :(

I have some time frame parameters to consider. I will be out of the country from approximately 15 October to 15 November. This is the last month or so of "H" season. We do not actually use the "bad word" in South Florida - just her initial. :)

So, realistically, I am looking for a Cape Dory 25D that I can purchase in September/October 2010. My thought is that if I buy in Sep/Oct 2010 I would hope to find a buyer who would be willing to "hold her" until I return stateside in mid-November 2010. I would then arrange for transport, etc. to South Florida.

So, if anyone who owns a CD 25D is thinking of selling, either now or at the end of the 2010 sailing season, please let me know. You can send me a "PM" or send me an email to:

bond0036[NO SPAM]@bellsouth[NO SPAM].net. Please delete "[NO SPAM]" both times from this email address.

Thank you.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Bump

Post by Sea Hunt »

Bump
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Joe:

Yes, I did. I talked with the broker late last month. Unfortunately, on Yachtworld.com it is currently listed as "sale pending".

Thank you for your thoughts.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
alan cohen

Post by alan cohen »

Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Alan:

Thanks very much :!: I have never figured out how to do a nationwide search on Craigs List. I know there is a way to do it (I think :? ) but I do not know how.

I will check out this Cape Dory 25D in Maine.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Numbah134
Location: CD14 #134 (well, if the paperwork actually follows)

Post by Numbah134 »

I've seen someone mention a method using google to search in the craigslist.org domain, or some such. I don't do that, but I haven't ever actually wanted to search nationwide.

Edit: here you go (pared down to just the 25d) - Stick this into google...

"cape dory 25d" site:craigslist.org

Finds the one in Maine, adds one in Tampa (twice - but expired - might be one you missed) and something that's "like" one in San Diego.

I just get a search going in one craigslist, then copy and paste other surrounding craigslists in (leaving the search part of the URL the same, just substituting "maine" or "nh" or "burlington" or "albany" for "westernmass"). This saves a bit of time over typing the search in at each craigslist I bother to search.

With a search like you are doing for a specific item over a large region, I'd set up a bunch of bookmarks, and figure out an actual use for the RSS function (finally.) Most likely (depends on browser setup) you can simply click on the "RSS" box/link in the lower right after you search on "cape dory" in "boats" on "maine.craigslist.org" and that will give you a page that will update as soon as any new cape dorys are listed on maine craigslist.

[url]feed://maine.craigslist.org/search/boa?query=cape+dory&format=rss[/url]

Bookmark that, swap in nh, bookmark that, swap in boston, bookmark that, work your way down the coast, and have a series of bookmarks to look through while drinking your morning beverage of choice.

[url]feed://nh.craigslist.org/search/boa?query=cape+dory&format=rss[/url]
[url]feed://boston.craigslist.org/search/boa?query=cape+dory&format=rss[/url]
[url]feed://capecod.craigslist.org/search/boa?query=cape+dory&format=rss[/url]
27 that sounds quite nice in cape cod...get your 2-foot-itis out of the way up front ;-)
[url]feed://providence.craigslist.org/search/boa?query=cape+dory&format=rss[/url]

...keep going to the keys, and beyond if you like. There will probably be boat bargains in the gulf this year, for obvious (and unpleasant) reasons.

[url]feed://keys.craigslist.org/search/boa?query=cape+dory&format=rss[/url]
[url]feed://mobile.craigslist.org/search/boa?query=cape+dory&format=rss[/url]

Normally I'm more of a haphazard browser, and very sensitive to distance travelled. Win some, lose some (missed a great air compressor 5 miles down the road last year - got a CD14 project for free this year.) When I was looking for a marine diesel generator, there were none inland, so I shifted my search to the coast and got one a little bit away from my parent's house after a bit of patient (and less haphazard) searching.
Cats, Coffee, Chocolate - Vices to live by.
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Numbah 134:

Thanks, I think :roll: What I did not explain is that I am a true "computer challenged" person (that is, I am an idiot with computers). I have no idea what a "bookmark" is for a computer nor an "RSS".

Most of your post went way way over my head.

I did type into Google what you said. It did show me some CD 25Ds. I looked at the one in Tampa last year.

OJ, HELP :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D How do you do a simple nationwide search on Craig's List for a CD 25D :?:

To me RSS means "reserve shotgun shells". I prefer a 12 gauge with 00 buckshot for both primary and reserve. :wink:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Numbah134
Location: CD14 #134 (well, if the paperwork actually follows)

Post by Numbah134 »

Step Zero - as far as I know, you already mastered the nationwide search. Now you have to keep doing it until one shows up (or dig for misspelled ones by altering the text).

Step one - try just clicking on the bits of blue text in my post and see if that works for you at all. Don't worry too much about what RSS is.

A bookmark (also called a "favorite" by the evil ones in redmond) is whatever you do in your web browser so that you can go directly to a site without having to type in the address by hand, or search for it each time.

I prefer a slug/buck/slug/buck arrangement myself, and an manual pump.
Cats, Coffee, Chocolate - Vices to live by.
Jim Buck

RE: crazedlist.org

Post by Jim Buck »

Robert,

I believe crazedlist.org is the tool for which you may be searching. A few simple steps will get you to where you want to be.

1. Go to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html
download the FREE browser Firefox. It works on both PC and Macs. Just follow the online instructions.

2. Open Firefox (works just like IE) and paste or type http://crazedlist.org/ This will open a page where you can choose what cities you would like to search. At the top of that page is a search box. Enter "Cape Dory 25D". Select the cities you wish to search by clicking in their check boxes. At the top right of this page is "save search settings". Select this to retain your search and then you will always have this ready to go. I would suggest dragging the crazedlist URL to your menu bar (right next to "Popular") so you only have to click on that to do future searches. I know you can do this and it will find you that beautiful 25D that you are longing for. Please let me know if I can help you work through this. Jim
Jim Buck
Member #1004
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Another one like crazedlist.com

Post by Duncan »

I have used http://free-sailboat-listings.com/.

If you hit Search, and type in "Cape Dory 25D", it will give you a general search across all cities. Be sure to enclose your search term in quotes, otherwise you get everything that has Cape or Dory or 25D in it.
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Numbah 134, Jim and Duncan:

Thanks very much. I will give your suggestions a try.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
alan cohen

Post by alan cohen »

When I want to search all of craigslist I simply do a google search for Cape Dory 25D craigslist. The first 3 or 4 pages will tell you everything you need to know. Anything after that is probably too old to matter.

If you want to narrow it more: Cape Dory 25D craigslist nj or fl or ma etc.
Sea Hunt

Bump

Post by Sea Hunt »

Bump
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
oldragbaggers

How about a 28?

Post by oldragbaggers »

If you would be interested in a 28 that is in beautiful condition, for probably the same price or even less than what you would spend for a 25D, take a look at Sojourner at http://oldragbaggers.com.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers