Zinc Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Zinc Replacement

Post by Daniel Owen »

In addition to the prop nut zinc there is remnants of a zinc attached to one of the bronze thru bolts attaching the lower rudder plate/shoe to the keel on my CD27. Hard to say how large this lower zinc was since hardly any of it is left.

Is this lower zinc common? Does anyone else have one? Seems most other boats this size only have the prop zinc. Opinions?

Thanks........
Dan O..............
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Rudder Shoe Zinc

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Dan,

It's just my opinion, but I think that this zinc was an add-on installed by a previous owner. Not that it isn't a good idea.

Many boats have a stainless steel rudder post sitting in a bronze alloy rudder snug. This being fairly close to a bronze wheel attached to a stainless steel engine shaft. Good enough reasons for a few zincs in the area.

Any original gudgeon attachments that I am familiar with have been affixed to the keel with bronze or Everdur rivets. If I saw a bolt installed, I would conclude that the fastening had been reworked and that the zinc is an add-on afterthought.

A good afterthought if you aren't a racer.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
SurryMark

Re: Zinc Replacement

Post by SurryMark »

Daniel Owen wrote: Does anyone else have one? Seems most other boats this size only have the prop zinc. Opinions?
My 27 has a zinc on the starboard side of the keel, much reduced and looks like a bear to get off. Does no harm, I guess. There are a lot of things I can do to go faster before the bump on the keel becomes a factor.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

No Rudder Zinc

Post by Bob Owens »

Daniel,
No such rudder zinc on my 27, only a large one on the prop nut. I have the original bronze prop on a newer stainless steel shaft.
Bob