Looks like we might have a 1985 Cape Dory 26 by this March

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Looks like we might have a 1985 Cape Dory 26 by this March

Post by Guest »

If all goes well, we should have a 1985 CD 26 by this March. Can't do the survey for a while, due to cold weather. Boat looks pretty good, is basically "bare-bones". We would like as many suggestions / comments as possible about the boat.

The first thing we need to do is find a good marina on/off the Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. Does any one have any advice on Marinas on the west side of the Chesapeake? We are familiar with the Magathoy River and the Galesville area. We don't mind a marina on a river like the Magothy.

Thanks.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Flag Harbor

Post by moctrams »

Check out Flag Harbor near Long Beach, Md. It is just North of the Nuclear power plant. Just Google Flag Harbor.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

More info needed

Post by Jim Davis »

Let us know where you live in the region. What area you are interested in, what level of service. There are a number of marinas, some expensive, some not so, Of course amenities can be important, the less expensive generally don't have real high standards of comfort.

These sites, while not a complete listing may help narrow the choices.
http://www.thebayguide.com/marinas.html
http://www.chesapeakeboating.net/Chesap ... l_Map.html
http://www.marinersguide.com/regions/ch ... index.html
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

Kayak

I just contracted with a marina on the Magothy for the 2010 season (starts 5/1/10), Ferry Point Marina, the people there struct me as friendly, capable, and welcoming. There is a full list of ammenities available. They have a website under the same name with all the information you need. If you call them, you will speak to Kim (a very nice gal). I was also pleased with the cost structure, coming from Florida, I found it less expensive than I would have expected.

I am moving my CD30k up to the area in April for at least the summer, maybe for good, and am looking forward to sailing the Chesapeake.

Good luck with that "new" CD26, and do talk to Ferry Point. :D

Darrell
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

kayak,

We keep our boat up in Bodkin Creek at Hammock island. Only sailboats, on small island about 150' off the mainland. The owners live right there.

Bodkin Creek is at the southern entrance to the Patapsco River.

http://www.hammockisland.com/

If you go to the site, be sure to turn your sound off (otherwise you'll hear some foghorn go forever).
Dean Abramson

Good sailing

Post by Dean Abramson »

Congrats on the new boat!

We had a 25D, which is a very similar hull, and it was a great-sailing boat. Stable, handled well, went quite well in light air. Solid, well-built.

I think that you will be very happy with the 26. I think they are just a wee bit prettier than the 25D.

What kind of engine does it have?

Enjoy!

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Congratulations

Post by drysuit2 »

Love the 26. It will love you back.
drb9

Herrington Harbour?

Post by drb9 »

Bring it to Herrington Harbour South, and there would be three CD26s there!

Darin
CD26 Genesis

Herrington Harbor

Post by Guest »

Thanks
Herringtoon Harbor south is on our list. We are going to check it out Saturday, along with Ferry Point on the Magothy.