Diesel not achieving speed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

Diesel not achieving speed

Post by Ldybg »

Hi All,

Just recently, the engine speed of my Farymann diesel does not want to increase more than than about 50-75%. This is happening while under load (motoring), it seems fine while in neutral (idle to full speed).

I will check linkage as that would be the easy fix. The prop & bottom were fairly clean. Any thoughts?

Also I may have a hard time troubleshooting as I hauled the boat on Sunday.

Dennis
Klem

Post by Klem »

It sounds to me like you are not getting the necessary fuel pressure under heavy load. The most common cause of this is a clogged fuel filter. Under light load/in neutral, not as much fuel is required but when you load it up, you engine requires more fuel and then you start to see the problem. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, this would be a good way to check.

Good luck.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Fouled prop

Post by moctrams »

Sounds like a fouled prop.
paul marko

Farymann diesel not developing full power

Post by paul marko »

Hi!,

I have a farymann 30A on my cd 28 /1977. Its performed well over the years. I replaced a piston and valves about 14 yrs ago so its been dependable. In calm waters it will push the cd28 at 5kts 24/7 using 3/4 throttle. If I push to full throttle , it just smokes a lot and doesn't really go that much faster. The only time I could not attain full throttle was when the fuel line was restricted by a bent fuel line to the injector.

I would guess that your not getting adequate fuel to the injector, might be a clogged filter or as happed to me one time the pickup line in the fuel tank was clogged. The fine screen over the end of the fuel pickup became clogged by sediment in the fuel tank.

hope this helps

Paul