CD 25 on E-bay

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
sprocket80

CD 25 on E-bay

Post by sprocket80 »

There is a CD 25 for sale on ebay.
see link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT
Riptide
Riptide

Less and a $1,000

Post by Riptide »

Wow, it sold for $971.00. I know it's not a "D" but that is still a pretty good price.
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

CD25 on eBay

Post by Alan Holman »

Sprocket80,
thanks for the heads up on the eBay listing. The winning bidder backed out of sale and I got the boat. Sight unseen I might add, so maybe when I pick her up in a couple of weeks I won't be thanking you. I'll keep you posted on her condition when I finally get to see it. My thinking is, at the price I bought it at, even I, pauper that I am, can afford to put a little money into it.
So for now my thanks, though I may end up cursing the day I spotted your post.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

"The Meddler"

Congrats (I think...) but I must say I've bought my last two boats "sight-unseen" and have never regretted it. (However, neither of them were on eBay nor had "others" back out of a purchase...).

I reckon you'll need to update your "profile/sig" as you're soon to be no longer boatless. :D :D :D

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

CD for sale

Post by Alan Holman »

Thanks Michael,
When I finally get the boat, you're right I'll have to update my profile, but I'm not sure whether to do it right away or wait until after I've conducted a re-naming ceremony. I'm thinking of calling her "eBay Folly" if she a disaster, or "eBay Breeze" if she looks half sail-able.
Now, if could I win the lottery I'd be coming after you for that CD28 of yours.
AH
mgphl52

Re: CD for sale

Post by mgphl52 »

The Meddler wrote:
Now, if could I win the lottery I'd be coming after you for that CD28 of yours.
AH
And if we won the lottery, we'd probably keep them both! :D :D :D

-mike & Toni
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Alan Holman

CD for sale on eBay

Post by Alan Holman »

Again my thanks to Sprocket 80 for spotting the boat on eBay.
Solnoi sailed out of Bristol, RI and was moored across the harbour from the Bristol Yacht Club. Andy Tyska and the crew at Bristol Marine were excellent, but Duncan, I'm not sure they appreciated the Moosehead Red label IPA I brought down from Maritime Canada. I think you're right they favor Montreal's Molson Ice. And everyone was right, it was a very busy time of year for them. My brother and I had an excellent day watching a very professional crew go about their business. We have a very small yacht club and get all our boats out for the season on the same weekend when we pool our resources and rent a large crane to do the lifting. Everyone pitches in and though effective, it is very amateurish compared to to the crew in Bristol. They pulled us out at the end of a very busy day and washed down the hull right away. Then, between jobs the next morning, two of the guys unstepped the mast for us, and we out of the yard and heading on our 700-mile drive back to PEI before 11 a.m. We made excellent time and I was tucked in bed by 1:30 in the morning.
Solnoi is now in my backyard. She's got a couple of softs spots on the deck, cockpit and the cabin sole, but I won't be able to get to them until next spring when the weather warms up. I think the boat is going to be a keeper. As I'm almost at the big 70, it will likely be my last boat, so after the appropriate re-naming ceremony she'll
have a new name based on the end of the game theme.
Thanks again to everyone for all your help and suggestions. No doubt I will be bugging the board for answers to problems as they arise.
But before I do anything else I better update my profile.
The Meddler
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Congrats!!! Can't wait to hear the new name... ;-)

-mike & Toni
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Congrats on the cd25! - and a curious observation

Post by henry hey »

Congrats on that CD25! She may require a goodly amount of work to get her up to snuff, but at that sale price nobody should ever complain!

I noticed that the motor is on a mount hanging from the transom (instead of in the well).

I can only guess that this is because that Evinrude 8 might be too big for the well, but I would bet not. One of the best parts of the CD25 design (in my opinion) is that the motor is concealed and allows the boat to have much more beautiful lines than boats with outboards hanging off the back.

I'll be curious to hear about the story surrounding that OB mounting.

Of course, there are many experienced CD25 owners here and you will find a wealth of info. I sold my CD25 in the spring.

photos here:
http://tinyurl.com/yj362a3

-henry
Alan Holman

Post by Alan Holman »

Henry Hey,
Thanks for your good wishes. I don't know the story on the motor mount on the stern of the boat, and I agree its ugly, but as of today it is no longer there. Gone, couldn't stand the sight of it for another day.
I think it might be one of the reasons there were so few bids on eBay.
I bought the boat through an agent and never had a chance to talk with the owners about the stern mount. I'm guessing and this is pure conjecture on my part, but there is a lot of barnacle and mussel growth in the harbour at Bristol, if the outboard was left in the water without being regularly used it could gum up pretty fast.
Other than that, I can't think of a reasonable explanation, though the head on the Evinrude 8 Four Stroke is a tad large. It is also one heavy mother and I'm sure it must have affected the trim. I'm replacing it with a 6 hp Tohatsu. It's much lighter, fits in the well, and I think it will provide adequate power.
Again thanks
The Meddler
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!