Portable generators

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Portable generators

Post by seadog6532 »

We are wondering what others are using for portable generators and how they are stored. We have found the locker lids to be too small to put one in the locker and the deck is used for the dingy. Also how about safe gas storage aboard?
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
Jim Evans

Honda EU2000i

Post by Jim Evans »

I carry a Honda EU2000i on longer trips for battery charging and running the hair dryer (and blender!). It also powers the water heater for making hot water.

While motoring, I carry the generator on the aft deck with a tight fitting cover. I also run the generator on the aft deck - it fits perfectly on the 33 next to the backstay.

While sailing, I carry the Honda down below on the cabin sole between the base of the mast and the port settee. It fits there perfectly so it can't tip over. Obviously, I'm not happy about carrying gas down below, but with the tank vent closed, I've detected no fumes.

For extra gas, I carry a 1.5 gallon tank lashed between the upper and lower rail on the stern.

I regret I don't have photos of my configuration at the moment.
Jim Evans
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Optional Fuels

Post by Oswego John »

There are generators that can also run on LPG propane or natural compressed gas.

Fuel is fuel. They are all dangerous. Which is least dangerous is a personal decision.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I believe there are small diesel generators too. The Honda is the perennial favorite. They also make a 1000 watt unit. For some reason you always see the 2000 watt units on boats. Part of the reason is that they are not much more money. The real reason must be that the 1000 can't run the hair dryer on high heat.

Whatever you decide, please do not do like the boat next to us at Block this summer and leave the thing run all day long. They started it in the morning and even left it running when they went ashore for the day.

I seriously considered disabling the thing, Steve.
GB
La Pointe, Madeline Island, Lake Superior

honda genset

Post by GB »

This season I bought the Honda 1000e. I have it on my Pearson Coaster. It fits through the cockpit lockers. This is where I store it. With the fuel on off and vent shut it seems fine. Like any thing on the boat I check for leaks and fumes. It seems fine. Since my boat has the Atomic Four I can pump a little gas out of the tank (safest place to store gas on my boat, since it is designed for it). Size was a consideration. The 2000 would have been nice for the extra output, but the 1000 puts out enough to run the charging system for the batteries. I also do not have very much electrical need on my boat, so again the 1000 was enough. As far as picking up, carrying, and storing the 1000 is better for me. There is a big difference on a boat between the 1000 and 2000 as far as physical size goes.
gbe
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Honda Generator

Post by Zeida »

I too carry a portable Honda 2000i on my CD33 Bandolera II, which I use to power my Cruisair A/C. Here in Florida, it's perfect to have AC while at anchor, otherwise, you fry!. Under way, I keep it in the space under the V-berth, and while using it, it sits next to the backstay, just like Jim on Reve.
Zeida
CDSOA Member