Cape Dory 28 - Masthead configuration

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

DaveCD28

Cape Dory 28 - Masthead configuration

Post by DaveCD28 »

Hi folks,

In looking through the owners manual I noticed that the mast head on my Cape Dory 28 is different than what the manual states.

I will have to go take a picture (boat is 120 miles away so it will have to wait until the weekend probably) to show you, but basically it has 1 block on the back of the mast for the main, in which the halyard comes down on the backside of the mast side (other side of block obviously) as it raises the sail. The foresail also has 1 block on the forward side of the mast, and it comes down on the forward side of the mast. There is also one other block forward of the foresail block which I was told was for a spinnaker. Since this spinnaker block is out on some kind of flange I would not want to put a super large load on it.
I am used to halyards that run up, over, and then down the other side of the mast from which the sails raise, so this appears unusual to me (and frightening to consider a bosun chair).

Does anyone else have this type of arrangement? My boat is a 1978 model.

Thanks,

David Cruickshank
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi David,

Sounds like some possible mods have been done... Our CD28 (1982) has internal halyards. A trip up the mast (with a camera) is something I would do - looking for what is there as well as clues as to why it was changed.

However, maybe Cape Dory did not always internal halyards on the CD28... I don't know.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

My '77 has the traditional masthead arrangement.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Dave,

My CD28 masthead was similar to this.

The longer part of the masthead fitting(to the right in the picture) supports the backstay. The other end the headstay.

There is a bracket similar to this attached to the forward top of the masthead casting. It is for a spinakker halyard block.

The picture of the masthead casting is small and that makes it difficult to see the various parts. If you look close you can make out a pin just to the left and slightly below the pin that holds the backstay toggle. This pin is for a topping lift. On your boat there is possibly a block attached to the masthead using this pin.

The other two pins in the picture, just above the end of the mast, hold the (4)sheeves for two halyards.

It is possible that due to neglect your sheeves no longer turn. Or possibly the original halyards wore out and the topping lift was used to haul up a heavier line to be a substitute halyard.

If the sheeves are stuck the spinakker block may be substituting as a jib halyard.

It sounds like you are due for a trip up the mast for closer inspection. Take a tag line line with so you can pull up new lines if needed. Spooky working up a mast in the water 'cause it seems like the small bits always want to jump right out of your hands and into the water.

Here is the page on Rig Rites site:

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Spartan_Sp ... _mast.html

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

Thanks for the replys, guys.

I think I will drive over tomorrow after work and take some pictures. My setup definitely looks a little different. It looks like someone might have just hung blocks off of the stay attachments if my memory serves me correctly, which is what the halyards are running through now.

I will take some photos and try to post them.

-David Cruickshank