Scammers at work

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Condon

Scammers at work

Post by Bob Condon »

Well, I have a CD 28I for sale in Boston and placed an ad
on this site plus another site.

The other site had two people email me "with broken english email text".

Both start by saying they want to immediately purchase the boat and will pay with certified check...

When I pressed the first one (I thought it might be drug money), he said that he will send me a check and I am to send money IMMEDIATELY via wire to the "shipper" who will pick up the boat.

I am playing along to find out which bank, which branch will issue the check... hmmm... no response yet!

The second one is asked the same questions. The email from both are very similar which is pretty funny...

So watch your backs out there! It is not pretty!

BC
Bob Condon
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Bob:

Unless you are working/cooperating with federal law enforcement (I assume the "buyers" are overseas), no good can come from your efforts to learn additional information. However, the bad guys can possibly gain additional information about you, your computer, your passwords, etc. simply be having your email correspondence. How they do I do not know. I do know they can do it.

I am NOT computer literate. However, I know of horror stories where well meaning citizens corresponded via email with people they thought were legitimate. Somehow, the bad guys were able to access and essentially take over their computer, acquiring access codes, bank account information, etc. Very scary.

My VERY strong recommendation is delete all correspondence from these bad guys, make sure you have what the computer geeks call a "fire wall" (a good one) and block/delete all emails that you do not readily recognize.

Just my 2 cents worth of advise.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097