Knotmeter question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Big E
Salem, MA

Knotmeter question

Post by Big E »

Every year the impeller unit gets clogged with funk within the 1st couple of weeks after launch. Is there any kind of lube/protectorant I could use before launch to avoid this problem? it is coated with antifouling paint already...all suggestions would be appreciated.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I feel your pain and I haven't come up with anything that works. Then again...I don't care anymore. For my purposes reading my speed over the ground (the one that counts to me) directly from my gps solved the problem. I usually know which way the tide is going so I have a good idea what I'm up against. I really haven't needed to know my speed through the water if I know the tide flow. My knotmeter hasn't worked for about 3-4 years now and I don't miss it one bit.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Dean Abramson

Cheap trick

Post by Dean Abramson »

I can often free mine by motoring backwards as fast as I can. Allow plenty of room, and have fun steering that rascal!

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Same here, it started towards the middle of the season though. The boat would have to be taking on some real momentum before the knotmeter would register. Towards the end it just quit. When the boat was hauled I removed the paddle (held in place with stainless steel pin) and soaked it a few days in white vinegar to clean off all the crud. Came out looking like I just bought it. This year I painted it with some transducer paint I had left over. Good thing I tried spinning the paddle, the paint, which is thick, sort of glued up the works. I pulled the pin and cleaned it up a little with a toothpick. It is spinning freely again. Let's see what happens this season. My luck a piece of seaweed will clog it.
KVickers

My Solution

Post by KVickers »

I always used to just tie a length of line to the bow, hand the bitter end to my son and toss him overboard. He'd swim under and free it up! After the first few times, if he saw the know meter stop, he'd just look over at me and shrug saying, "I guess it's time to get the rope, huh?" I'd nod and it was running again in no time atall.
...at rest on ocean's brilliant dyes...an image of Elysium lies...(E.A.P 1849)
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Knotmeter

Post by Carter Brey »

I keep a dummy plug in the knotmeter through-hull, using GPS for my SOG. I test the knotmeter impeller by hand periodically and had DMI refurbish the instrument, but I just keep it in reserve in case the GPS fails and I need to know my approximate speed for dead reckoning. In the meantime it stays dry and free of growth underneath the vee berth.

Carter
Ed Haley

knotmeter sticking

Post by Ed Haley »

It's a good idea to clean the knotmeter impeller before launch but I think the real culprit is the stuff in the water when you launch the boat. All the floatsum and flotsum around the launch area can get in the impeller and then take its time to work out.

Even picking up a piece of grass while sailing may stop the impeller from functioning for a while.

If it spins free before launch you've done all you can. The rest is luck.
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Mr Bober will chastise me for this

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I keept the blank plug handy and remove the knotmeter from the inside and replace it with the blank plug. A minute or two with an old tooth brush and it is all clean. I then just swap out the plug with the knotmeter and all is well. Typically only a few buckets worth of water get in during this process. Don't forget to put the pin and retaining ring back in place.

During the last 7 or 8 years I have been painting a very thin layer of bottom paint on the impeller. That seems to keep the impeller reasonably clean. I use Micron-extra.
M. R. Bober

No, I won't.

Post by M. R. Bober »

Matt Cawthorne wrote:I keept the blank plug handy and remove the knotmeter from the inside and replace it with the blank plug. A minute or two with an old tooth brush and it is all clean. I then just swap out the plug with the knotmeter and all is well. Typically only a few buckets worth of water get in during this process. Don't forget to put the pin and retaining ring back in place.

During the last 7 or 8 years I have been painting a very thin layer of bottom paint on the impeller. That seems to keep the impeller reasonably clean. I use Micron-extra.
I do the same thing. Although with the Raymarine thru hull/sender very little water floods into the bilge. I skip the bottom paint.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where we use dummies to plug holes in the hull,) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
mattlydon

wheel-less knotmeter sensor

Post by mattlydon »

airmar makes the cs4500 ultrasonic speed transducer - no wheel, accurate to .1 knots (so I read).

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads ... CS4500.pdf

The only trouble is that they cost $700

matt
bottomscraper

Maybe a better use for the hole?

Post by bottomscraper »

Our speed transducer has a typical season working lifespan of about 2 weeks. I tried transducer paint and I think it only made it worse. This year I used Micron Extra, we will see if that does any better. The location (deep in side of bilge) is just too hard to access mid season.

Here is something else that could fill the hole and might be more interesting! :wink:

http://www.gemeco.com/PDFs/ca500_rC_lr.pdf
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Keepin it simple

Post by Gary M »

For some reason I find it hard to enjoy my boat when something isn't working, so I decided not to install a knotmeter.

As a matter of fact, I didn't install a lot of things!

When you own a 22 it is pretty simple.

Hardly moving, figure 1 to 1 1/2

Moving pretty good, figure 3 to 4.

Big smile, and eyes, figure 5.

Good enough for DR!
Gary