? about non-skid painting

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

? about non-skid painting

Post by Jimbo »

I am curious what paint to use to repaint my non-skid. I don't need more texture, just fresh color.
Troy Scott

painting non-skid

Post by Troy Scott »

I suggest you use Interlux Brightsides with their optional flattener stirred in. You can get a color chart from them or from the West Marine Catalog. I think most folks will enjoy a lighter color, as it keeps the boat a lot cooler in sunny weather.
Regards,
Troy Scott
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

non skid.

Post by S/V Necessity »

We elected to use something called KiwiGrip, on our boat (http://www.pachena.com/) So far we are very impressed with it. I don't know what to say other than it really does seem to work exactly as advertised. It was very easy to work with, and easy to clean up, and any mistakes were easy to deal with. The traction is excellent.

I would advise getting a quart and playing with it on an old piece of plywood. There is a pretty wide range of textures possible. (it's dependent on how thick you put it on, and how much pressure you apply to the roller, and how fast you move the roller) For example it was pretty easy to match the original cape dory nonskid texture on my sea hood and companionway slide.

One thing to note. It is water based and it does not form a firm bond to the substrate for several days (even though it has hardened). For this reason we found it was best to remove the masking tape ASAP. Otherwise the non-skid would harden, and we would mess things up trying to get the tape back off. On the plus side this makes fixing mistakes pretty easy. You just wait till the next day and chip them off with a credit card, or fingernail.
Troy Scott

when to use paint/ when to use texture

Post by Troy Scott »

S/V Necessity,

It's good to hear that you like KiwiGrip. I've been thinking of trying it, since I'm starting from scratch on my non-skid. I'm still recommending Brightsides with flattener for Jimbo, because he specifically said he doesn't need more texture. I'm guessing he has the molded-in cloth-pattern nonskid.

Do you have any specific advice for me WRT KiwiGrip? I have completely smooth-sanded gelcoat. I'm not just freshening old non-skid. I'm concerned about the permanence of the bond. Does this material eventually stick really well?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Brightside on nonskid

Post by Jim Davis »

It does quite well, however it will be a bit slicker for the first year. From my own experience I suggest that you scrub the entire area with something like Comet Cleanser to roughen the surface and use a small bronze or stainless wire brush in the checkering. Be sure and rinse well and wipe the surface with lacquer thinner as the last step before rolling the paint. A tough of Penetrol in the paint helps.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

oops!

Post by S/V Necessity »

I failed reading comprehension on the original post!

Troy, yes it does stick quite well. What I would recommend is getting a quart and putting some on your boat, wait a week or two and see what it takes to get it back off ;) Willy (the US importer) Said it'll stick to ANY non glossy surface. Having used it, I don't doubt this, but I would go ahead and scuff everything with 220 sandpaper.

We are really pleased with it. I was worried about how long it would last (as we were considering rolling textured gel coat on) It is so easy to work with, and it's so forgiving, that I came to the conclusion that if I had to re-do it every couple of years I would still use it!

After walking about on a boat with smooth decks (as yours are) it's amazing, we no longer fear for our lives.

Willy, is real good to deal with also. We bought a gallon of the blue color and ended up not liking it. He refunded us the unused amount (even though we didn't ask for it.) We went with the cream color instead.
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

gelcoat.

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I have been messing around with a thin coat of gelcoat over the original gelcoat. I'll give an update when done, however am pleased with the results so far.
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Matt,

I sprayed gelcoat with the grit mixed in a couple of years ago. Came out great. I rolled a small section as well (sloding top to the comapnion way). It looks ok but doesn't have the uniformity of the sprayed deck. I like gelcot for the deck much better than awlgrip, which I know some folks have used. I used a beige gelcot from CCP. If you want the specific color and type of composite, let me know. Let me know how it goes.

Jeff
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Gelcoat

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

Jeff,
Thanks for the offer. I had a special gelcoat color made to match my cape dory. It is GCP #4400 (they gave it the name '1982 Cape dory beige' but it is not an official Cape Dory product or color). I used it to patch a section of my deck some years ago and it did not initially match. I was initially disappointed, but several years later I can not find the area that I re-coated. The material faded to a perfect match of my faded deck.

I'll post pictures when the job is complete, but it is raining this weekend so I suspect it will be at least another week.

Matt
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Matt,

I checked the gelcoat I used: Cook Compsites & Polymers; color 953-NE68 (otherwise referred to as "beige"). I used Awlgrip Griptex for the non-skid additive. Here are a couple of photos of the result.

Regards,

Jeff
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49 ... G_0059.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49 ... G_0064.jpg[/img]
Troy Scott

nice looking 36

Post by Troy Scott »

Jeff,

Thanks for the inspirational photos. Your boat looks GREAT!
Regards,
Troy Scott
Greg Kozlowski

A bit of topic drift: white gelcoat color

Post by Greg Kozlowski »

Hi folks,

Can anybody help me out with a reference number for the white gelcoat color on a late model (1979) CD36 . I 've been in touch with Gelcoat Products and they're unable to track down Dana Arenius' Custom White......#42997 /Invoice no. 035774 in their records.

Does anyone have a reference to a more recent order with Gelcoat Products or Mini-craft of Florida for topsides color. Also, does anyone know if the CD white is the same color thruout the years of manufacture...in other words, will a 1982 white be the same as a 1979 ,etc?

Appreciate any help anyone can offer on this.

BTW.... I re-did our non-skid in Venezuela with Imron & fine sand mixed in. It's a two part aircraft paint, was quite cheap at the time and has stood up for close to ten years now.

Regards,

Greg