Aging Bottom Paint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Len

Aging Bottom Paint

Post by Len »

After ten years my bottom is starting to look like the asphalt streets of New England in the spring ( ie full of pot holes). Being lazy I really don't want to sand the entire bottom or use other methods of removing the whole thing.. Most of it is still quite good but the blotches of peeled bottom paint is in need of fixing. Fiberglass type fillers, plastic fillers, vinylester two part filers,polyester fillers, ..... are too much. Any simple recommendations, (other than just paint over it until I'm willing to remove all the bottom paint.) My feathering technique only makes the patches bigger.
Len
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
SurryMark

and why not?

Post by SurryMark »

You don't want to remove the old paint because it's too much work? Too expensive to have someone else do it? It's a good archeological record? It's no big deal to leave it?
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
BillyO

Old Bottom paint

Post by BillyO »

Go to a paint store -- a SW or a Ben Moore retailer and purchase a
CARBIDE paint scraper. Use it lightly at first to get use to it.
Do not let anyone talk you into a regular steel scraper -- get CARBIDE. I know this , as I have spent my life as a painting contractor.Once familiar with its use, you will be able to easily remove the poor paint and then some. Actually you can achieve a "feather" of sorts with this tool. The old spots to be removed will come off easily. Then the option of sand feathering will be the next task. Wear a GOOD protective repirator/ mask and feather with a quarter sheet sander. I did my whole bottom and repainted it in about three hours. Two - twenty grit will get you a very good feather.