CD 27 interior teak color

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

George Hare

CD 27 interior teak color

Post by George Hare »

I have a CD 27 and the original interior teak is rather dark (rich). I am trying to match a repair job. Does anyone have a ball park idea of what CD used for a dark teak option? Nothing at Lowes/Home Depot comes close and I have tried the Watco Cherry.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Matching wood color is tricky. If you took the exact same board as the original woodwork was produced from, freshly milled it and finished it in the exact same manner it would be too light. If you stain that wood you just lovingly finished to be the exact same color of the woodwork on your boat it will be too dark in a few years.

All wood will darken with time. If it has been repeatedly oiled it may darken a bit more. I would not start staining to try to match what you have. Part of the reason is that I do not personally like to mask the true color and even the variation of wood's natural beauty.

I had a friend who once owned a very old backhoe. Every time he worked on or replaced something he painted it orange instead of yellow. It was an interesting look. I don't think having some fresh new teak that will darken with time will stand out quite as much on your boat, Steve.