1982 Cape Dory 25D, "Donnybrook"; Hull #75

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

1982 Cape Dory 25D, "Donnybrook"; Hull #75

Post by Sea Hunt »

Anyone have any knowledge or information about a 1982 Cape Dory 25D, "Donnybrook", Hull #75.

From researching the archives on this board (sailboat registration), this CD 25D was apparently owned by "Lawrence and Mary Ann Dennis" from 1995 until sometime after 2001. They sailed in the Jacksonville, Florida waters. I sent them an email to the address in the archives but apparently it is no longer a valid email address.

Thanks in advance for any and all information.

The search continues :!: :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Donnybrook

Post by Sea Owl »

Sea Hunt:

Think I may have found the owner, sent you a PM with the phone number to try. Good luck!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Sea Owl:

I sent you a PM reply.

That is very, very impressive. I am assuming you must be a FBI agent, a CIA spook, or a Magnum PI type. :)

Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Sea Owl:

I called the number you suggested. Sorry, but wrong "Larry Dennis".

I ran some of my own website "Name Lookup" searches and found two that are promising but with unlisted phone numbers.

No big deal. I just got an email from the broker. In my judgment the seller is not being realistic in terms of the current condition of his CD 25D and the prevailing market conditions

The search continues.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
j2sailor

Take Care in Today's Market

Post by j2sailor »

Sea Hunt

In my opinion, you are correct in your assessment. As people get desperate, they will try to recover cost instead of face the reality of the market.

This is a buyers market--but I believe we have only seen the tip of this iceberg. You will also find less disclosure of hidden problems. In desperate times, that's to be expected. Patience rules.

Best - J.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Make an offer and wait...

Post by bhartley »

Robert,

I made an offer on our 25D sight unseen (with a reasonable amount of information and photos to back up my interest) contingent on a survey. The boat happened to be in Georgia with us which made the deal feasible. The boat had been on the market for several months.

The broker said NO instantly. Each month I reminded him that we were still interested and the offer stood. Each month I sent the same reminder. We did not NEED another boat. It was just the boat I wanted. We continued to sail the boat(s) we owned and loving them. Made the offer in March, closed the sale in October -- at the original offering price. We never budged on the price or offered to negotiate. There was no conversation. Make an offer you would be happy with (and is realistic) and stick to it.

If the deal had never happened, there would have been another.

Bly (the owner of one of the 25D's you didn't buy)

:wink: Thanks!!!
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Bly's right!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sea Hunt,

You've got a boat you like. You're learning about sailing and enjoying it. And you're in a buyers' market.

Just sit tight and wait and let the market work for you. (Maybe that's the wrong expression to use--look what the market has done for all of us--oops, no politics here!).

Kidding aside, lots of people want to sell boats and a smaller number of people are prepared to buy a boat. The math is on your side.

--Joe
(Another 25D owner.)
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt

Re: Make an offer and wait...

Post by Sea Hunt »

bhartley wrote: (the owner of one of the 25D's you didn't buy)
Bly:

You have no idea how prophetic those words are to me.

On 09 June 2005 I drove to St. Augustine, Fl. to look at a 1985 Cape Dory 25D (hull no. 184) that was berthed at the Comanche Cove Marina. Yes, I know, same hull number. :cry: The owners (Alice and Chris and Alice's father Jack) were very nice people. If I recall correctly, they also owned a Shannon 28 and decided to sell the Cape Dory and keep the Shannon.

The name then was "Jackal" which, if memory serves was the combined name of Alice's Dad ("Jack") and his daughter ("Alice").

I spent about 2 hours making notes and taking pictures. I still have the pictures and notes :!:

Unfortunately, I was very new to sailboats and sailboat inspections and did not know what I was really looking at - a beautiful CD 25D in excellent condition.

It seems like light years since then. In reviewing my notes and photos I was a real dummy not to make an offer immediately.

I am now more experienced than I was almost four (4) years ago. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. :?

The search continues :!:

P.S. Thanks so much for reminding me of one of the really dumb decisions I have made in my life. Not making an offer on Dean Abramson's CD 25D ("Mariah") and a CD 25D in Niceville, Fl. that Mike-"mpghl52" suggested I buy were two more really dumb decisions in a long list of really, really dumb decisions. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Bly:

I sent you an "email", which, as I am learning, is apparently different than a "PM". :roll: Sorry for the confusion.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
bill2

Re: Make an offer and wait...

Post by bill2 »

Sea Hunt wrote:

. . .

I am now more experienced than I was almost four (4) years ago. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. :?

The search continues :!:

P.S. Thanks so much for reminding me of one of the really dumb decisions I have made in my life. Not making an offer on Dean Abramson's CD 25D ("Mariah") and a CD 25D in Niceville, Fl. that Mike-"mpghl52" suggested I buy were two more really dumb decisions in a long list of really, really dumb decisions. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Robert

On the upside here's a couple tales I kinda remember from years back - as best I can recall - the details are a bit sketchy :

1st
while in college ( well back into last century :-) we were told of the company pres that hired a new plant mgr right outa college - a smart kid. He goes out and loses $10 million on a big deal . So he heads into the pres' office and gives him the bad news - then turns in his resignation in shame. Pres thunders " No way do I accept this - not after I just spent $10 M to educate you ! "

2nd
Guy goes to work - gets fired
guy opens business - goes out of business
runs for state office - voters flock to the other guy
runs for US congress - voters turn him down
runs for US senate - gets beaten handily
runs for US Pres - you can see him in SD on Mt Rushmore - "Abe" be his name

So you get the point - you 're acquiring wisdom the old fashion way - you're earning it.

Keep up the good work . . .

( BTW - and good luck ! ! ! )
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

I had hoped to go sailing today. Unfortunately, winds are 22-25 kts and forecast to remain high the next 2-3 days. OK for experienced sailors; not so good for tadpoles. I guess that gives me some time to work on the starboard teak toe rail. :)

Bill2:

Very, very funny, especially about old Abe.

Joe:

I agree completely. I just wish sellers agreed. :roll: I will be paying cash (cashier's check), no financing, time is on my side and I love S/V Tadpole. I want to believe it is a buyer's market.

I made an offer that was based on the condition and care of the sailboat that I observed during my inspection. It was basically rejected out of hand. At the suggestion of several PMs, I will renew the same offer in 1-2 months.

I have observed a strange phenomenon in my long and often tortured search for Cape Dory sailboats. Most of the sailboats I have looked at, whether Ty Weekenders, 22, 25D or 27 were on a mooring or at a dock or on the hard at a marina. The owners were paying a monthly fee for dockage/mooring or storage. Very few were in the seller's backyard with no fees being incurred. Dean A. was a rare exception.

If a seller is, for whatever reason, selling his/her sailboat and not using it during the selling process, it seems like the monthly dock fees (which for a 25D are around $350-$400 a month in most places) are monies being thrown away. There is another phrase I was going to use but thought it impolite for mixed company. :wink:

On a few occasions I have suggested to the seller and/or broker that a particular sailboat has been on the market for some significant period of time (say 12-14 months or longer) and that the seller has reduced his "profit" on the sale or increased his "loss" by not reducing the price to avoid continued dock/storage fees that do not provide any value to the sailboat. This has generally been met with blank stares.

I am not an economist, nor a broker, nor very smart, but this does not make sense to me. If I owned a sailboat that I was selling and it was not in my backyard, I would factor in my monthly dock/storage fee as a strong incentive to sell my boat, especially if I was not sailing her during the selling process. It's one thing to spend $200 a month for real maintenance, keeping the hull clean, washing the decks, etc. It seems, respectfully, foolish to throw money away on dock fees IF the sailboat is not being sailed by the seller during the selling process.

By way of example, I know of one CD 25D seller who had his sailboat on the market for 2 years. It was on an inland lake and he paid a significant monthly dock fee. He never used his CD because he was working 70 hours a week to advance his fledgling career - understandable. I had offered $13,000 or $14,000. I forget which. He rejected it and stuck close to his significantly higher asking price. He eventually sold his CD 25D for $12,500 :!: That is not a typo. I believe this is the correct selling price because he sent an email to several people and said "the first $12,500 takes it".

By my math, assuming he paid as little as $200 a month for his dock fee, he shelled out $4,800 in dock fees during the selling process that he could never recover. So, instead of selling for $12,500, by my logic (if wrong I hope someone shows me how and where) this seller actually realized only $7,700 at the time of the sale. I may be slightly off on the exact numbers but the relative numbers are, I think, correct.

I assume I must be wrong on this and would like to be educated. Am I wrong to consider dockage/mooring/storage fees as an "incentive" to a seller to want to sell :?:

As you can tell from the lengthy post, I just finished my third cup of Italian espresso. :D
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

If you're wrong, so am I!

Post by Gary M »

I have always considered these expenses when selling any of the boats I have owned, it only makes sense to me.

That being said, I have known many who will say, "I won't take a penny under $5,000 and sell three years later for $2500!

Such is life!

Gary
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

My guess is that the folks who spend this money while selling are making a bet that they will get the asking price sooner rather then later. This subject tries to make sense of sailboat ownership. When I go to the docks I see hundreds of boats that are never used. I see another hundred or so in dry storage year after year. For so many of these soulathere is no reason at all.
Seajunkie
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

A part of the soul

Post by Joe Myerson »

Rich:

For all my advice about it being a buyer's market at all, it's possible that simple economics really don't apply where sailboats are concerned. It's just hard for some people to part with a sailboat, even if they can't use it. So, taking a loss financial just makes it even more painful.

There was a well-maintained boat sitting on the hard for several years (I think it was a Catalina) at the marina where my office is. It turns out that the owner was diagnosed with cancer. He loved the boat, so his family kept it on the off chance that he'd be able to sail again.

He wasn't able to sail, but he couldn't bear to part with the boat. So, it wasn't sold until after he passed.

Still, Sea Hunt should be able to get a 25D somewhere.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627