Upgrading and Location change of main DC Panel or DC/AC Pan.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

petes

Upgrading and Location change of main DC Panel or DC/AC Pan.

Post by petes »

I am contemplating updating my 1985 CD30K DC/AC system so it will be capable of handling the extra power using devices (safety improvement) which have been added over the years. After reviewing Blue Sea and Paneltronics panels I have a couple of questions.
1) Are both manufacturers about the same ? If not what are the +/- of both.
2.)The original panel has been modified somewhat. (It is really an eye sore.) I am thinking of relocating my new panel to the area on the Starboard side, where the sliding panel doors are located over the Ice Box. Has anyone done this ? (+/-'s)

Keeping the panel where it is, would not afford the number of individual circuits I require and in a handy location.

Pete
Russell

Post by Russell »

I really like the new BlueSea 360 panels, the modular design would allow you to make the perfect panel for just about any boat.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Andy Denmark

Paneltronics

Post by Andy Denmark »

I chose Paneltronics for Rhiannon. I liked their quality and features although Blue Sea was a close second. For the prices of either of these products I went with the one I felt I would be most satisfactory in the long run. I especially liked the back lighting as it made a huge difference in readability at night.

Here are some pix of the installation.

________
Vaaapp vaporizer
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

I built my own using components acquired from Defender. Both brands are good so if you can use a standard configuration go with the most economical.

Have A Nice Day
petes

AC/DC panel relocation

Post by petes »

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and photographs. What I have seen and have read about in your replies will help me along with this job which is long overdue.

Thanks,
Pete
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I kept my original panel in place. I changed out the meter for a battery monitor that happened to fit in the same hole. I used the meter selector switch hole to add a breaker not tied to the battery switch. This breaker controls a cigarette lighter socket that I plug my solar charger into. To gain more space I added a Blue Seas aux panel down below the main panel next to the AC panel.

I would not want to give up the very valuable locker space in the galley for an electrical panel. It may be an easy area to utilize but there is way more space than you need for the panel and wiring. Not to be sexist but ask a couple of women what they would think of giving up that locker space.

I want Andy to come rewire my entire boat, Steve.
Ben Thomas

Electrical

Post by Ben Thomas »

[img][img]http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp14 ... C_0015.jpg[/img]

I used the Bass DC panel, I wanted color coded markers on the breakers as well as back lit. Each breaker was sized (amps) with my needs for that circuit.

The old panel was a mess, with additional cut outs and messed up wiring.
I made a new support face to house the new panel, I angled the new face, which gave me a lot more room to glass in Neg. buss bars on the bulkhead behind panel when I re-wired everything.
The new DC panel opens from the top , piano hinge on bottom using machine screws that thread into aluminum backing laminated on backside of teak face.
Battery switchs were moved down along side AC panel. Bottom switch is house bank, top is starter and middle is combiner to house and starter.
Bass was very helpful in making the panel the way I wanted, including two bilge pump switchs located on right side.
Ben[/img]
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

just slightly off topic

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Question for Andy Denmark,

Is that an Alpenglow light in the top of the picture. If so, could you comment on your experience with that light?

Nice work on the electrical panel!!!!
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

all three of you did a nice job....winthrop