Cape Dory 22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JBA

Cape Dory 22

Post by JBA »

Hello all,

Currently I have a 1978 Typhoon WE and am looking to move up just a little. Can someone discuss the differences between A Typhoon Senior, a CD22 and a CD22D. I can see the differences in layouts, but what about functionality of those layout and differences in performance?
Thanks so much,
JBA
Jeff D

CD 22/22D & Ty Seniors

Post by Jeff D »

JBA,

I am a current Ty Daysailer owner, a past CD 22 owner and have looked at a few Ty Seniors and one CD 22 D as well.

CD 22 - A very nice boat - I still regret selling mine. Down below all teak and ash, full sitting headroom, large opening ports and plenty of storage room. Although I day sailed, I think that you could sleep on board without feeling too deprived. The boat was very easy to sail single handedly. My CD 22 was usually the best looking boat around. The only detriment was the outboard hanging off the stern (see CD 22D).

CD 22D - The elusive great white whale. They made very few of these and I have only see one in person. I also regret not buying it. Everything that the CD 22 was and more. A single cylinder diesel sits under the cockpit, steals little room from the interior and removes the one blemish from the exterior. I believe that the CD22D was the twin of the 22 in all other regards.

Typhoon Senior - There were relatively few of these made during the last days of Cape Dory. Down below most of the wood is replaced by fiberglass. The large square opening ports replaced by small (fixed?) round ports. The outboard sits in a well aft of the cockpit. The overall dimensions are similar to the 22, with the biggest difference being that the 22's are fractional and the TyS is a masthead rig.

My preference would be CD22 D > CD22 > TyS, but the final choice would depend on the availability of a good example of each. I have friends that own a TyS and they are very happy with it. I don't think that you could go wrong with any of the three, or for that matter with your current Typhoon.

Jeff
shavdog

I have both

Post by shavdog »

sitting in my driveway as we speak...the cd22 is a much bigger boat physically than the typhoon...I bought it as I wanted a little bigger boat and the cabin below is something i'm interested in..mine sits on a mooring ball in front of the house..my ty kept getting my wet when a wave crashed into the hull but otherwise it was very stable and fun to sail...i plan on selling the ty next spring ....my 22 sits on a triad single axle 5000 pound trailer...they are good looking boats...good luck..craig...i didnt like the motor mount on the the back of the 22 so i bought a ty mount and mounted the bracket on the cover, dead center to give my butt a clean look....my 22 has a split backstay so i could do that...
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi...

jeff gave a good disciption on all three boats,

all i can add is that,

i have put my cd22 on ever coast in the u.s. and it sails nice in any weather.

but, two years ago i took that boat from southern ca to hilo ha and did not have one bit of trouble out of the boat at all,

but, my boats are set up for blue water sailing.

i sailed with two other boats "friends",

one is in a catalina 22 which is faster then mine and the flicka,

but mine is faster then the flicka,

that was a fun around trip.
winthrop
hughesw

CD22 Blue Water Setup

Post by hughesw »

Hi Winthrop,

Can you tell me how your 22 is/was setup for blue water? How long did the trip to Hilo take? Any details you would care to share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Warren H.
Dave H

Ty Sr info

Post by Dave H »

A few observations about Typhoon Senior.

According to our board info, the Typhoon Senior is the only Cape Dory sailboat with a ballast ratio of over 50%.

The Typhoon Senior is a fractional rig, with a very tall mast. According to the posted luff dimensions for mainsails on the Bacon Sailtraders website, the Typhoon Senior has a longer mainsail luff than any Cape Dory up to 27'. (6" longer than 25D and 26.)

The outboard in the well has a lot to said for it. Last season "Puffin" was at Barker's Island Marina in Superior, Wi. When going out onto Lake Superior through the "Superior Entry" with a NE wind blowing there is a steep chop at the Lake end. But even with severe hobbyhorsing, "Puffin's" propeller never came out of the water. The portability of the outboard simplifies maintenance and reduces downtime. And it also means that the fuel tank is portable, so I can transfer boat fuel to the car, so I don't have "old fuel issues" onboard.

My point of view should not be mistaken as unbiased. It's not. I'm crazy about this boat. (I'm going in for heart surgery on Monday, so I won't be able to reply to any comments for a week or so. I'll check in when I get back.)

Dave
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hi...

well the first thing was the standing rigging was replace with one size larger and all the running rigging is all 3/8 and ever thing is rig for single handed sailing for my wife or me.

it has a snap roller furling with a 150% for off shore sailing and i spent more money on that so i could reef it down to any size i want.

also my main sail can be reef down four times if need be.

i think the cd22 is set pretty well as is,

so all i did was beef it up with extras outside and inside as well.

all three of us took a month off work,

going there was easy sailing most of the way, we hit two small storms and had swells most of the time between 5' to 10'.

coming back was harder and we had allot of head winds against us maybe 15% to 20% of the time.

over all we had great time and a fun trip,

they had not been their before so i showed them around the big island and we just lived off the boats all the time.

i think the flicka was set up the best for the trip, but he makes allot more money then us.

then the cd22 and the catalina.

for room the catalina has the most room on board inside and out.

but between the catalina and the cd22 with out boards motors, both of us beef up the motor mounting bracket.

its hard in five waves to remove that motor and store it below, so the motor just stayed their for the trip...

if i did that trip again i would put an inboard in the boat.
winthrop
hughesw

That's Encouraging

Post by hughesw »

Thanks Winthrop.

Although not so entrepid, I have a few trips in mind I would like to make. Like coastal cruising along the Florida Gulf Coast, the Dry Torugas, then maybe to Bimini or further. Dream on, right?

Warren
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hey warren,

i have sailed all over florida in that cd22 and we all was stay off shore and it helps to have a dodger with the bimini and sure they both fold down out of the way when you install them.

if you get a snap roller furling make sure you get a cover with it in any color, it looks great.

other wise have fun sailing florida its one of the best sailing grounds in the U.S.
winthrop
Troy Scott

Post by Troy Scott »

If you can find a good 22D, buy her. I remember checking out a new Senior. At the time I owned a 22 (not D) which I bought new. The Senior was solid, but not nearly as pretty nor as nicely appointed as my 22. I remember thinking, well, you could add this, and this, and that...., but then you'd have a regular 22.....

The 22D with her diesel inboard will be a better balanced boat by virtue of having the engine low and under the cockpit rather that hanging off the stern maybe hobby-horsing in and out of the water. It also looks a heck of a lot nicer not having an outboard hanging off the stern. The 22D was the ORIGINAL "elegant day-sailor".

My 22 balanced best in moderate wind with a single-reefed main and a 150. With that combination she would sail for hours with the tiller-pilot hardly working at all.

One of the nicest things about owning one of these is that she will attract "real" sailors. Most folks will gravitate to the biggest, shiniest monster of a boat in the harbor, especially if it has lots of chromey stuff on it. The folks you really want to know will quietly stop by and talk about things that matter.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Jack Carr

CD22D

Post by Jack Carr »

Before buying my CD22D I tried out a CD22. The CD22 sailed a little better, probably due to the lack of propeller drag and better balance. The choice to me was obvious. The CD22D cost a bit more but it gave me more options. My cruising range increased. When I asked the surveyor how far I could get on a full tank he said, "You'll never know." He was right.

Secondly, I bought a Cape Dory for a safe and reliable day sailer. You will remind yourself what a good idea it was to have a CD22D the first time you waited too long before heading back to port. The deep propeller doesn't come out of the water in heavy waves. There is nothing like leaning over and touching the start button and hearing that engine come to life when you really need it.

If you can find one and the budget allows it (even if it doesn't), I recommend the 'D'.
Jack