Maine trip

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Maine trip

Post by moctrams »

I am planning a trip on Gabbiano mid August 2009 to somewhere in Maine. I have emailed a couple of marinas and they have responded very quickly regarding rates, amenities, etc. I want to moor Gabbiano for about one month and sail her back to the Chesapeake Bay mid September 2009. Does anyone from the Northeast Fleet have any ideas about a good mooring marina when I can hang out and explore the area?
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

See you there

Post by Evergreen »

We don't usually stay on moorings or in marinas so we can't help you there.

However, once you figure out where you are going to be located, post it on the "Cruisers" part of the message board and we will try to track you down next summer. We hope to spend three months exploring the coast of Maine on "Evergreen" next summer.

Best wishes,
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Dalton

Robinhood

Post by Dalton »

Is a great place to hang
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Moctrams, What kind of atmosphere are you looking for? Do you want a lot of destinations near to where the boat will be moored most of the time? I'm on Liniken Bay on the other side of BoothBay Harbor. It is near Robinhood and there is a good number of destinations nearby but I would not consider it the best area for a home base.

I'd think about a location some where on Penobscott Bay. The area between the Penobscott and Bar Harbor is my favorite cruising area with countless harbors and anchorages. It's as if the geography was designed by a sailor. South of the Penopscott the geography is dominated by rivers. While filled with great anchorages, sailing rivers can be tough with stronger tides, and the need to often retrace your route on the way to the next destination.

Any of the "jewels of the coast" Rockland, Rockport and Camden make great jumping off points either by land or water, all within 15 minutes of each other (on land). Rockland would probably have the cheapest long term moorings but is not the pretest harbor of the three but a lot of attractions in town. Rockport would be the most quiet but is the worst protected unless you are tucked way up in the Harbor. There are not a lot of choices for restaurants in town Camden would probably be considered the prettiest harbor by most, but it is probably hard to get a mooring in the inner section and the outer section can be exposed. It will also be the most expensive. One of the advantages of these three is that there are so many possibilities near by and a lot of trips can be made without retracing your steps on the way back. Bucksport at the top of Egomoggin Reach is also a nice central location for sailing but if you want a nice dinner there are not a lot of choices near by. Not a central location for land destinations. Downeast of the Penobscott one perfect central location does not comes to mind until you get to Mt Desert but I'd make that a destination rather than a home base. South of the Penopscott, I'd go with Boothbay Harbor which is a great walking town with tons of stores and restaruants for deversions and tons of choices for moorings in a variety of locations.

I'd suggest getting the mooring from one of the service yards in whatever town you pick so that if the need arises for some work you will have some relationship with the yard. If you don't have it yet the Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast is an absolute must.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
moctrams

Post by moctrams »

I've been emailing Amy aarmstrong@wayfarermarine.com in Camden and she will reserve me a mooring for which includes water taxi. I am preparing the boat for a round the world crusise and I wanted to go somewhere this summer after a year in Iraq for a "kiddee" cruise. I've sailed for over 20 years and pretty good at it along with navigation, repairs, etc. I also have done several deliveries. I have also toured Maine and surrounding areas. I just want some nice quiet harbor to just "look around" and not think too much about war.
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

If you've set up a base in Camden, you'll be happy. My waters are more Blue Hill Bay, and aroud into Penobscot and Frenchman's bays. Do you belong to a yacht club? I'm pretty sure that KYC in Blue Hill has guest moorings for an overnight, though it's a fair walk into town. (Follow the charts carefully going into Blue Hill harbor, and ask for some local knowledge if you go into the inner harbor.)

It's certainly worth a trip down here because of the islands, gunk holes, and the remarkable amount of traffic-free sailing. On Mt. Desert Island, Northeast and Southwest harbors are beautiful, and the thickest with boats. On Mt. Desert Island facing Blue Hill Bay, Bass Harbor is a pretty working harbor, with a few handy restaurants. At the south end of Bartlett Island there is beautiful little Dogfish cove, with good anchorage. At the northeast side, facing Pretty Marsh on Mt. Desert Island, there is a cove where the NY Yacht Club cruise stops.There are a few open moorings. (Bartlett is a Rockefeller island, and they are very polite about visiting boats and coming onto the beach. Just don't make a fire.) Of course there's Stonington on Deer Isle, with the island-dense Merchants Row passage.If you get to Blue Hill bay through Eggemoggin Reach (north side of Deer Isle) you'll pass some gorgeous wooden boats around the WoodenBoat enclave and the Brooklin Boat Yard. I live on Morgan Bay, at the north end of Blue Hill Bay: secluded and sweet. Jed Island is now part of a land trust, with a good anchorage and beach. The northern most part of Morgan Bay gets very shoaly at low tide, with a mud bottom. Seven-mile-long Long island has a fine swimming beach at the northeast point. Happy Sailing and welcome to Maine.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
The Patriot

Re: Maine trip

Post by The Patriot »

moctrams wrote:I am planning a trip ... mid August 2009 to ... Maine. I ... want to moor Gabbiano for about one month and sail ... back to the Chesapeake ... mid September 2009 ...
With this sort of time allowance you will have to be quite selective. For many folks a good plan is to go as far East as you intend, as quickly as you can, and then work back as time, weather and your interests allow. With your proposed schedule, you might consider the Penobscot Bay area to be a realistic eastern limit. However "limit" is a deceptive phrase in this instance because the enjoyment possibilities in this region are anything but limited.

You will find that the "style" in Maine is not at all like that in the Chesapeake. There are not really any significant "resort" marinas or dockage facilities that cater to the "weekend liveaboard" style that is very popular on the Chesapeake. Most visitors move from place to place, using available moorings and enjoying the scenery and local sights and attractions. With only a few weeks available, you would be well advised to hit the "high spots" and not be concerned about seeing all that there is. For example in the Penobscot area if you get to visit Camden, Castine, Rockland, and maybe one or two island locations, you will have a full plate. At that point it will be time to begin heading back to warmer climes, since the sailing in Maine from about mid-September on gets cold fast.
GeorgeV

Rockland Maine

Post by GeorgeV »

I sailed to Maine last year (for the first time) and plan to do it again this year and I used Beggars Wharf in Rockland Maine as my "home base"

http://beggarswharf.com/

They just have moorings and you will need to use your dingy to get to and from shore, but they were real nice people and priced very reasonably. The have a nice "club house" with showers, ice and internet connections. They are located within easy walking distance to shopping (food, pharmacy and a marine store) as well as the bus station if you are looking to hook up with transportation.

Located next door to Beggars is a very good boat yard (Journey's End Marina) for any repairs you might need. They did some work for me last year and I thought that they were very professional, reasonable and they can handle most any repair.

Additionally in Rockland you will find one of the few pump-out stations in that part of Maine, it is free and run by the town. Fuel and water are also readily available. Rockland is a great jumping off point for sailing Penobscot Bay.

One more thing, I purchased the book "A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast" 5th edition last year and it was the best investment I made in preparing me for my trip last year and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to cruise the Maine coast.

Good Sailing

BTW: I plan to leave Connecticut July 4th arriving in Portland July 11th via Boston and Isle of Shoals, then it is off to Rockland and out to Acadia National Park and then back to Rockland. I an planning to leave Maine (Rockland) on August 1st for the overnight sail to Province Town roughly 150 nm and then work my way back Connecticut getting home around the 9th of August.

If your in the area, I always look forward to meeting other Cape Dory owners and/or sailers in my travels, look for me!
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
jerryaxler

Maine Cruise

Post by jerryaxler »

We have used Somesville as an anchorage for the last few years when we visit the Acadia area.
You can pick up a bus on the main road, just a little walk from the Somesville landing. It seems to be the most practical and reasonable (free) place nearby.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Bob L

also heading to Maine

Post by Bob L »

After our very enjoyable cruise in LI Sound and Martha's Vineyard last year, we are planning this year to head to Maine from the Chesapeake, leaving sometime around June 10th or so. We expect to spend 3 months away from our home port. Hope to see some of you then.

Bob
Carl Thunberg

NE Fleet Maine Cruise - August 9-14

Post by Carl Thunberg »

If it happens to fit in with your scheduled itinerary, this year's Maine Cruise will take place in western Penobscot Bay, centered more or less around Islesboro. Here's the scheduled itinerary for the cruise. I hope you can make part or all of the cruise.

August 9 - Maplejuice Cove Float-in - Muscongus Bay. This is not technically part of the cruise, but we're having a Float-in on the day before the cruise begins for those who can make it. Maplejuice Cove is the site of the Olson House which is pictured in Christina's World , one of Andrew Wyeth's more famous paintings. Andrew Wyeth died last year, so this destination was chosen to commemorate his passing.

August 10 - Long Cove - next to Tenants Harbor
August 11 - Pulpit Harbor - on the north end of North Haven
August 12 - Warren Island - just south of Islesboro
August 13 - Smith Cove - near Castine
August 14 - Belfast with a group dinner ashore to mark the end of the cruise.

Watch the Fleet Events - Northeast Fleet page of the CDSOA web-site for more details as they become available. Don't check it today, though 'cuz it's not there yet. This is new information. We'd love to see you there!
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
moctrams

Post by moctrams »

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Looking forward to seeing the Maine seacoast and of course, any CD owners out there.
Sprinkling in Iraq. Will get hotter. Only 110 days to go!