Furler Related Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Furler Related Question

Post by Evergreen »

I am looking for comment from anyone who has a furler mounted on the bow platform of one of the larger Cape Dory cutters such as the CD 36.

How far above the stemhead is your furler mounted, and are you happy with the clearance, as far as anchor handling is concerned??
Do you just have a toggle connection or do you have a link plate for a greater clearance?

Your input would be very much appreciated.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
jerryaxler

furler ounting

Post by jerryaxler »

I'm going to make a guess that the unit is about 4-6" off the deck and yes it interferes with the raising of the CQR. I didn't want to lose any square footage on the sail. We have developed a routine that avoids the furler when we raise anchor. Basically we raise the chain rode til the anchor is about 6" from the sprit with the windlass and then hand up the rest with a slight angle outboard. This removes the twist and uncontrolled movement of the shank of the anchor as it is pulled aboard.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Russell

Post by Russell »

Its about 10" of clearence, with a link plate, no issues at all with the anchor.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

My boat is not as big as yours......but is much the same set up.
I use a Profurl with long link plates that gets the drum a foot or so up off the bowsprit. Access to the anchor is aided as well as keeping the headsail,(yankee or 135) off the bow rail. No matter what your set up, You need to use a toggle at the stemhead fitting. Mine has a spacer that keeps the links in line and attaches to the toggle.
I think you can get a good idea by checking the web sites of furler companies.
________
Trichome
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Post by Doug Gibson »

I installed a Harken IV furler about 2 years ago on my 36. I used a Schaefer toggle extension link, part # 2100-24, which adds 12" in length and uses same 1/2" pin size. It puts the bottom of the drum about 14" above the bowsprit. I have a 45lb CQR anchor and the clearance is fine. Places the tack about 22" above the bowsprit.

The Schaefer link is great in that it has a toggle built into it. If I recall, Harken did not offer standard extension links like Profurl or Schaefer do on their furlers.
Doug Gibson