What is a yacht?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Vigor

What is a yacht?

Post by John Vigor »

I'ver been wondering if anyone has a good definition of the difference between a sailboat and a yacht. I notice that the Brits and those living in the shrunken remnants of their empire habitually call anything that sails "a yacht." There are Limey "yachtsmen" who sail 11-foot Mirror dinghies, for goodness' sake, and belong to yacht clubs.

American usage tends more toward sailboat, but I believe most Cape Dories would qualify as "yachts." Or would they? What do you think?

A yacht in my eyes has, over the years, gradually become a large powerboat, a floating gin palace as portrayed in Yachts & Yachting. I never tell landlubbers I've got a yacht, in case they expect me to pay for dinner. I always say I own a small sailboat. That might be more a reflection of my innate modesty than a statement of fact but it does help keep my entertainment costs down.

And yet I belong to a "yacht club" whose members own only sailboats, and I notice that "yacht brokers" sell sailboats as small as 25 feet sometimes. So, in some quarters at least, small sailboats count as "yachts."

What role does snobbery play here, if any? Do only snobs say they own "yachts," or is it OK for us owners of small Cape Dories to claim that distinction also?

How think you? Does a sailboat turn into a yacht at some stage, and if so, at what approximate length?

John Vigor

http://www.johnvigor.com
Last edited by John Vigor on Nov 2nd, '08, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

I've always laughingly said, it depends on where you bought the furniture for your boat that desides whether or not it is a yacht! :wink:

Gary
ronkberg

1983 CD Owner's Manual

Post by ronkberg »

John, the manual is entitled "Cape Dory Yachts" and Andrew Vavolitis' letter of welcome says "You have joined the select group of sailors who recognize the quality construction and traditional workmanship found in every Cape Dory yacht." The remaining pages have many references to the models from Typhoon through CD30K yachts.

Thus, I am brushing off my blue blazer and having my mate iron my ascot so that I am prepared for a candle lit dinner here in Maine. My yacht is sitting on her trailer in preparation for the winter snow and will be looking forward to outsailing other not-so-noble sailboats next summer.

Snobbery is just so sweet!

Sincerest Regards, Captain Ronald :wink:
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Russell

Post by Russell »

Hanging out in primarily in commonwealth countries the last couple years I have come to use the term yacht rather then sailboat more often.

Basicly my definition: A sailing vessel used for leasure and able to be lived on temporarily at least. So a typhoon weekender for instance is a yacht, the open daysailor is not.

A powerboat is a Motor Yacht, never simply a Yacht.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
J D

Post by J D »

John, I always thought a boats accommodations, Like her galley, and ability to sleep and dine her crew, make her a yacht. Your 27 fits in there. So if you want to buy my dinner--------------
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Boat vs yacht

Post by moctrams »

The true definition of a boat vs. a yacht is:
a yacht is a boat that someone else works on while a boat is one that "you" work on. I have a Cape Dory "boat".
Troy Scott

A Yacht is

Post by Troy Scott »

not a work boat. Any boat that exists just for fun is technically a yacht, even if it's 8' long. But my CD36 is my "boat". I say "boat" when I'm talking about sailboats that have some accommodations. I say "dinghy" when I'm thinking about a really small rowing or sailing boat. I only say "yacht" when I'm talking about other peoples really fancy motor or sail boats. I only say "motorboat" when one of them nearly runs over me.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

A yacht....

Post by Sea Owl »

John;

Great question! I did some quick searching and found from a website for United Yacht Sales:

"A yacht (From Dutch Jacht meaning “huntâ€
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I live too simply to own a yacht. So what is that thing I sail around in? If it is determined by weather you could eat and sleep aboard then most any good sized work boat would qualify. I don't think, length, propulsion or accommodations have much, if anything, to do with it. Purpose is very important. If the boat is intended for some sort of commercial purpose that would bump her out of the yacht category. I think about some of the old commuter yachts and believe they are still yachts because they were used by their owners for personal commuting when other means were available and were not attempting to profit or save money. The same would apply to sport fishing yachts even if they did hire out a charter on occasion. On the other side of the coin would be the skip jacks and other working sail boats. They are beautiful enough to become yachts but no one would argue that they are not fish boats. How a boat is maintained is a major item that hasn't been addressed. A commercial boat could be maintained to yachting standards give up fishing and truly become a yacht. The urchin becomes a lady theme. I suppose the opposite is true too. We seem to give a bit more leeway in that direction. We have all seen derelict yachts. If a yacht hull is used for other purposes she could become a fishing boat that was converted from a sailing yacht. What makes a yacht is how the owner and others perceive her. Some need to own a yacht others just like messing around in their boats. It is mostly about perceptions and that is why I have a very nice boat that could probably be considered a yacht, Steve.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I don't think I've ever heard an individual refer to their own boat as a yacht. It would probably sound a little pretentious if I did. When I've heard the word the reference is usually more general than a reference to particular boat, like yacht club, yachting, yacht broker etc.

You could use the word as compliment about someone else's a boat but when I think of a yacht I tend to think of one offs and customs rather than production boats. In any case, I'm happy with my little "yacht". Does that sound pretentious?
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Bruce Bingham, NA, has an essay on the subject...

Post by Bill Cochrane »

...it's on page 132 of his "Sailor's Sketchbook", just before his "Yacht Owner's Checklist". Both are well worth reading.

A few short excerpts:

"Size or cost has little to do with achieving the stature of a yacht...It is the owner who makes a yacht from a boat, or, conversely, who makes a boat out of a yacht...A yacht stands out among boats wherever she may be and sets an example for those around her. But she does not stick up her nose nor is she ever pretentious in her ways. She is a lady....She is the profound expression and extension of ourselves. You'll know her when you see her."
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

It is my firm intention to shortly rename my Cape Dory. She was previously named "Sailing Vessel (S/V) Tadpole". With authoritative support from Captain Russell of S/V Lady Pauline, my Cape Dory shall henceforth by known as "Sailing Yacht (S/Y) Tadpole".
Russell wrote: So a typhoon weekender for instance is a yacht
When the sad day comes that I have to sell her, she will command a premium price as a sailing "yacht" versus a fair price as a meer sailing "vessel". :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Troy Scott

Bill said Bruce said....

Post by Troy Scott »

Bill,

I really like the Bruce Bingham quote. It's right on the money.
Regards,
Troy Scott
M. R. Bober

Re: Bruce Bingham, NA, has an essay on the subject...

Post by M. R. Bober »

Bill Cochrane wrote:...it's on page 132 of his "Sailor's Sketchbook", just before his "Yacht Owner's Checklist". Both are well worth reading.

A few short excerpts:

"Size or cost has little to do with achieving the stature of a yacht...It is the owner who makes a yacht from a boat, or, conversely, who makes a boat out of a yacht...A yacht stands out among boats wherever she may be and sets an example for those around her. But she does not stick up her nose nor is she ever pretentious in her ways. She is a lady....She is the profound expression and extension of ourselves. You'll know her when you see her."
To paraphrase, if I may, a yacht is a vessel owned by a crazy person. Really. Ask any boatyard owner/worker. It's true.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (wakawakawaka), Va
CDSOA Founding Member
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Yacht vs. sailboat

Post by darmoose »

it depends purely on whether you are selling or buying...

darrell :wink: