1gm overspeed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Littlebit

1gm overspeed

Post by Littlebit »

The 1GM in my CD25D starts right up but goes straight to full throttle. Fuel cut off works fine. If I open the oil fill and hold the gov level, I can control the RPM. If I have the throttle in neutral the gov level has spring that keeps the fuel injection pump pulled forward. Seems to be inside the timing gear cover. I am going to have to remove the cover if I don’t get any better ideas. My luck I will remove the alt, starter, water pump, trimming gear cover etc, just to find there was something simple. Any body that might have had a problem like this or knows what’s going on with my normally reliable diesel I would appreciate any help available.

Thanks
RC James

Two resources........perhaps

Post by RC James »

Used to be a great interactive discussion board in England, but the original website isn't active (at least the one I saved doesn't work anymore), but you might take a look at the following.

http://yanmarhelp.com/quicklinks.htm
Perhaps you can find an answer in the histories, or e-mail the gentleman.

If that turns into a dead end, then Torresens.com at Torresens Marine might be able to help.
They have a good supply of Yanmar parts and a discussion board, not to mention a very friendly staff. Prices might be higher than some other places, but never had a problem with them if I ordered the wrong part.