CD 25 on a trailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seaker

CD 25 on a trailer

Post by seaker »

We're considering buying a CD 25 and are interested in hearing from people who have trailered this boat. I have looked at keel boat trailers and wonder if you can actually float this boat on and off the trailer or if you must use a lift.
Tod M

as a regular ramp user

Post by Tod M »

at a variety of places, I'd have to say it depends on the particular ramp.

I have used ramps where you would have no problem launching provided you had a long enough trailer tongue extension. (e.g. Rockland, ME)

But most ramps I've seen would cause problems because they aren't long enough. The trailer wheels would drop off the end before the boat is floating. Powerboaters "power loading" frequently scour out ramps at their end, meaning that the trailer could drop and end up resting on its frame.

[img]http://www.htmills.com/images/LF-gg.jpg[/img]
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

launching a CD25

Post by trapper »

Well, I'll let you know how it works on Thursday. :D With any luck, that is the day that Saga will be launched from the trailer she is on into Lake Murray. I think it is going to be fine. There are lots of boats bigger than Saga on the lake and the lake does not have a travel lift. So they all got there on a trailer of some sort.

The big thing to have, along with a tongue extension, is enough power to manage the boat on a steep ramp necessary to launch a keel boat.

One of the reasons we bought the CD25D was because it was big enough to do a little cruising and small enough to trailer to other sailing grounds.

While trailerable, I would not try to dry sail the boat.
Chris L
Harbor Beach, MI

It can be done

Post by Chris L »

I just hauled my 25 yesterday and was relatively painless. The key is being able to get the trailer deep enough to float the boat on. When I bought my boat the trailer was a yard trailer, not designed to be launched from. I has an extendable tongue and a winch stand put on the trailer and it worked perfectly. As far as trailering a 25, I'm glad I live only 2 miles from the marina (no storage at the marina). It is not a boat to trailer sail, as far as I care it will be launched in the spring and hauled in the fall and not more frequently.