Whats on your wrist?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Whats on your wrist?

Post by seadawg »

This board is where the sailing knowledge is! Thank you. Does anyone here use a combination wrist watch, compass and Tide data. I purchased a Timex E-Data expedition with electronic compass that proved to be so inaccurate and unreliable that I had to return it to seller. I don't know at this time if it was a faulty unit or if they are all like that. It would be great if someone out there has used one with success. Other brands? Experiances? Cheers, Charlie.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Time, direction (it's not a compass but it will tell you what direction you're going) and tides are all available from a basic, handheld GPS.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Greg Kozlowski

Post by Greg Kozlowski »

I wear a Casio F-28W digital wristwatch. I has a 5 year battery and loses about 4 seconds a month. I kept 3 on board during my Atlantic crossing for use in celestial navigation.

And the punchline: They go for about 7 bucks here in Tokyo.

Greg
Boyd

Hmmm... bad unit?

Post by Boyd »

I have worn a Timex model WR100M for a couple of years now. Its been a completely reliable watch so I don't understand what went wrong with yours. The compass has always been spot on whenever I have checked it. It does have a calibration procedure in the instruction manual.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fl