Gray bedding material?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

s calder

Gray bedding material?

Post by s calder »

Does anyone know what the name of, and where I can get, the gray bedding material that resembles modeling clay but it is sticky yet moldable...never dries or hardens and is water proof as a duck's back? Hint...it isn't Dolphinite. Thanks.
S. Calder sv Falcon
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Butyl rubber caulk, but I have only seen it in black. Plumbers putty is grey, same stuff they use for seating toilets I believe.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Maine Sail

It's called butyl tape

Post by Maine Sail »

It's called butyl tape and it can be found at many RV stores. Just Google it and you'll find some it comes in black gray and off white. DON'T use black if you can avoid it.

I had Portland Glass order me a case about ten years ago and I'm still using it! This stiff is the best sealant for a mechanical fitting I've ever used!

Re-Bedding With Butyl: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

It's the same stuff that New Found Metals recommends for installing their ports.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Jim Buck

rebedding rails

Post by Jim Buck »

Maine Sail,

Thank you very much for a very educational web site. Would you rebed teak toe or rub rails with butyl tape? It looks like it would be more convenient to work with for this purpose given it is a roll and somewhat dimensional. Again, thank you for sharing with us so graphically your experiences.

Jim
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Mortite weatherstripping

Post by Kurt »

this same material is available at many hardware stores under the brand name Mortite. It's popular to use as weatherstipping around the home.
chase

butyl

Post by chase »

Maine Sail,

Great documentation as usual, Thanks! We use it in constructing grain bins, anywhere a galvanized sheet joins another. Seems very convenient for bedding hardware and I'd never thought of it.

The rubrail/toerail idea is a good one and would be easier to avoid a mess since attaching them to the boat in the first place is a tough job. I wonder if the butyl would be enough to fill all the space through any less than snug matings with the hull. I hope Neil G isn't reading this......

Great thread- (until I posted :wink: )

Chase