CD28 Transmission

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BillGieg

CD28 Transmission

Post by BillGieg »

I have a 1982 CD28 with a Volvo MD7A diesel. Last week the transmission began losing oil. My yard tells me the seal is shot and it will be necessary to remove the engine to replace/repair the transmission. They are now telling me that after a week of trying, including contacting Volvo, they are being told that there are no rebuilt or new transmissions that match the original.

Has anyone had experience with replacing or finding parts for the transmission on this engine?[/b]
The Patriot

Re: CD28 Transmission

Post by The Patriot »

BillGieg wrote: ... Has anyone had experience with replacing or finding parts for the transmission on this engine?[/b]
The "MAN" when it comes to Volvo is Richard Vosbury of Annapolis. Send email and I will forward contact info (or, of course, Google).
BillGieg

CD28 Transmission

Post by BillGieg »

Thanks. I found his company using Google and have left a message. I'll let you know the outcome.
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

Volvo-in its infinite wisdom has made sure that only a volvo gear box will fit a volvo engine-we need to determine the make of your gear box-it should be a MS (mono-shift) with a 2 to 1 gear ratio-I went through the same thing several years ago and you have 3 choices-either get the gear box rebuilt-get a new gear box or get a new engine and gearbox-only a few people who are familiar with volvo gear boxes can rebuild them-they are tricky and you need someone who has rebuilt them before-I can look through my paperwork and give you the contacts and info I developed several years ago but I am not sure if it will be current-there is a national distribution center for volvo in North Amercia but you need to be a dealer to contact them and they may not have any of these old gear boxes in stock-however-once you identify the model and gear ratio you can do a web search for someone who is qualified to rebuild it or sell you a rebuilt one-or you can keep adding oil as this is a "splash pan" lubrication system and there will always be some oil in it-is your gear box slipping? if not you may want to go with the option of just adding oil-while you sort out your other option-boatyards that re-power sailboats may have a gearbox laying around as well-or you could as a last resort get the manual and try to replace the seal yourself-boat yards always take the easy way out!
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

MD7A

Post by moctrams »

Just saw a MD7A engine on eBay for $2900.
Kittiwake

Vosbury

Post by Kittiwake »

I had transmission rebuilt last summer - was in Georgetown SC. Have always gotten parts from Vosbury, very satisfied with service from them, and everything went very well.
Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
Bill Watson