Cheap Chartplotter

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Cheap Chartplotter

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I am looking for advice on obtaining (perhaps second hand) a relatively small inexpensive chartplotter (I figure four - five inches would be about right.) that I would mount permanently on my bulkhead by expanding the hole that holds the knotmeter. I want the GPS so I can wire it into the DSC function of the new VHF. And also tie it in to my Raymarine tiller pilot. I am a Buzzards Bay and environs sailor, frequently sail alone and for general use find the Garmin 76 just fine. But a modest upgrade is in order especially since my knotmeter ceases to function on August 1 each year plus or minus one day.

I'd welcome any recommendations or thoughts on installation.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Dick,

When it comes to smaller chartplotters Garmin has by far the largest selection. I think they currently have a a variety of $200 rebate offers going, one of which is on the color GPSMap 478 model. It is preloaded with all US coastal charts and all US roads which I think makes it a bargan). It switches quickly between automotive and marine modes and is waterproof. I bought mine on line for $750 when it was listing for $999. You might get it now for around $550 with the rebate. I use it as a portable but it can be hard wired. Between the boat and car (I use it more in the car) its actually one of the most useful electronic items I have purchases.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148

Additional edit info

Dick,

I might be wrong about those rebates. Couldn't find them on Garmin's website. Thought I got an email from Garmin recently. Must be losing it. If I find it I'll let you know.

Joe
Last edited by Joe CD MS 300 on Aug 26th, '08, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Jeff G

Try the Garmin 440

Post by Jeff G »

I upgraded from the Garmin 76map to the 440. The bigger brighter color display is great. I believe Garmin is giving a rebate on the 440. It fits well in the cockpit of my 25D. I mounted it on a removable drop board. I liked the 76map but the screen was just too to difficult read while rocking and rolling at sea.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Thanks

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Thanks, The 440 can be purchased for a little over 350 (no frills) and Garmin has a 100 dollar rebate program on right now. So this may be the choice for me. I will ponder this a bit and decide. But it is Labor Day and maybe there will be a price drop before next sailing season or my boat will sink or there will be other reasons for DELAY. Thanks guys.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Just installed a garmin 545 and after cruising around with it for 2 weeks I'm pleased with it's performance. Although it comes pre- loaded with nav. charts I plan to spend the extra 100.00 for the blue chip 2 which gives more definition and options.
I was an easy install, I got a pedestal arm mount from Edson that clamps onto the pedestal guard and is made to accommodate the garmin mounting base. Had to drill one hole in the pedestal guard and one hole in the bottom of the arm.
To me, it's more user friendly having fewer buttons to deal with.
________
Dodge Mirada Specifications
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Cheap Chartplotter

Post by trapper »

I asked the board to review the Garmin 478 this summer as I was looking for something small for my husband to use as a portable chartplotter and use in his car.

Michael from Mandeville, La (hope he is ok) suggested that I look at the lowarance i350. It was on sale for $100. The next week it went down to 87. I bought it and my husband loves it. He uses the same chart cards from his big lowrance.

Here is the link.

http://www.tigergps.com/lowranceiway250c.html

Other than the cost, I found that Garmin's cards for lakes does not include my lake and lowrance does.

I plan on using a portable gps on my CD25D. If I mount it, I will use an electronic's arm like I had on my CD22. I just dont think that I want to cut a whole in my boat.

Let us know what you decide. Pics would also be nice.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

lowrance 250c

Post by trapper »

I am sorry that was lowrance iway 250c. It is a good little unit. Cheap!
David L

a non-Garmin alternative

Post by David L »

Dick:

Have a look at Standard Horizon's line of chart plotters:

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS. ... Archived=0

Not only do they have all the features of a Garmin but will accept video output from your laptop (use free NOAA charts), DVD player or (engine room?) video camera. They also display AIS and radar information right on the plotter screen. (So says the salesman and the on-line owner's manual seems to confirm this)

The display on my Garmin 182C died earlier this summer after only two years of service, so I'm in need of a new unit. Garmin has a flat fee of $175 to repair it but I am not inclined to throw good money after bad. Garmin's mechanical design is just not good enough for the marine environment. (A friend's 182C also croaked this summer b/c the button membrane split and water penetrated the unit.)

Good luck with your purchase.

David
jerryaxler

GPS units

Post by jerryaxler »

I have a Garmin 492 that I bought at a Boat show 2 years ago for about $500. I'm sure you can get one on the used market or e-Bay a bit cheaper. It came preloaded with the entire coast of the U.S. I love it at the helm with it's 4x3 screen for steering in close quarters and fog. The prime disadvantage is the small screen doesn't allow for longer distance planning because of the loss of detail above the 2 mile range. I use my paper charts, which we should have anyway, for long range planning.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
JBondy

Post by JBondy »

I have a Raymarine 435 that's become available. It's a current model, MSRP $1,100, in great shape. It would come with the antenna, but without the Navionics chip. It should also tie in to your tiller pilot fairly easily. I upgraded to a multifunction display with radar. I hate to see it sit in my basement, so any reasonable offer would be accepted.
Joel
Bayside, NY