Lost my head.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Lost my head.

Post by Terry »

Well, I had an interesting sail yesterday. I left the marina with a light breeze, hoisted the main, and began to unfurl the genoa. Just as it was fully unfurled, it fell to the foredeck. Oh, great. Okay, I'd intended to replace the halyard, but hadn't got to it. I went forward, dowst the main, and pulled the genoa out of the track. When I got to the head, it was gone. The halyard didn't break, but the sail just lost it's head.

Live and learn. A few months ago when I purchased Cassandra (CD25 #567) I unfurled the genoa on a calm morning at the dock and started to pull it down to inspect it. It started to come down, then acted like it was binding, so I left it figuring I'd come back after asking some questions about what to do--no wanting to pull hard just in case. (Althought I went to the "school of the bigger hammer"-- the Army -- I finally learned enough to know that sometimes a bigger hammer isn't the answer.) Anyway, I think now that the halyard itself, being old and a frayed, might have been what was not allowing the halyard head to easily slid down the estrucion.

Today I used the main halyard and another line to loop around and pull the halyard head down. When it cleared the first eight or so inches in came down nicely, not stiff. The head seems alright, slides easily, turns fairly easy.

So I ordered a halyard and hopefully won't spend an arm or leg having the sail stitched. I suppose it will need replacing at some point, but Wayne took a brief look and said it should be able to see more days before replacing it. He did say that the stitching at the head sees the sun and needs restitching every couple of years. Add that to the bi-annual maintenance list.

While at The Sail Loft, I asked Wayne about adding reefing points to the mains'l. He said about $150. I think I'll have him inspect the main and add reefing.

Lesson Learned. If I think it needs to be checked, it needs to be checked--NOW, not later.

LORD Bless ya'all. Terry
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Terry.
Sounds like your sails need some attention. I have had good luck with Sailcare. They will clean, re-resin and make any needed repairs ( or tell you your sails are shot). Giving you a few more years out of them for about a third the cost of new ones.
________
YAMAHA YZR-M1