Typhoon Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Chris & Dale Schnell
Location: 1969 Typhoon Weekender, MISS DALE, #27, Southport, NC

Typhoon Questions

Post by Chris & Dale Schnell »

1. Does anyone have an electronic copy of an owners manual for a 1969 TY daysailer that they'd be willing to share? (Not sure those on this site reflect the most accurate data/specifications being 1981 version)
2. Is there a subset of Cape Dory just for Typhooners or another website devoted to them?
Full Sails & Calm Seas,

Chris & Dale Schnell
s/v MISS DALE, #27
1969 Alberg Typhoon Weekender
Southport, NC
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Typhoon Info

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

My suggestions are...

Start by clicking above 'About Cape Dory's'. That will give you all the published info. '81 was probably when they got around to a nice brochure, but I think it is more applicable to early Ty's than later ones. Daysailers were never well documented!

There was a 'Typhooner' newsletter that preceded this board. Currently most of us try to run all info through this site since there is so much knowledge etc represented by the body of Cape Dory sailors/owners.

My 2¢ for what it may be worth today. (Not much in Euros!)

Serge
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Many of the members here seem to have cut their teeth on the Typhoon's before moving up to larger CD's. I doubt you can find a larger wealth of knowledge then this board.
Last edited by seajunkie on Jun 19th, '08, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Typhoon Info

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Serge Zimberoff wrote:.....There was a 'Typhooner' newsletter that preceded this board. .....Serge
You'll find links to 'The Typhooner' right here on this web site. Scroll to the top of the page and click on either the 'CDSOA" or the 'Where to Look' links. Then use the menu on the left side of the page and select 'Where to Look', then 'Groups & Publications', then 'Magazine Articles & Reviews'. Then select 'The Typhooner' from the list.

Or you can use the 'CCDOA' link. The CCDOA is providing electronic version of 'The Typhooner' on their web site. We just link to it.

If you go to the specs page for the Typhoon, scroll to the bottom of that page and you'll find links to the owner's manual, a 1978 sales brochure (which includes the Typhoon) and a 1983 sales brochure.

Hope this helps,
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
TyTwo
Manchester/Framingham, MA

Post by TyTwo »

And some of us used to have bigger CDs and decided to upgrade to a Ty:)
Eric Woodman
Almost Blue
Typhoon Weekender #2
Formerly Megan E
Chris & Dale Schnell
Location: 1969 Typhoon Weekender, MISS DALE, #27, Southport, NC

Post by Chris & Dale Schnell »

Thanks for the replies. The problem that I have is that our 1969 Typhoon is different in a number of ways, the more I get to know of her the more I find. Example - we have no scuppers so a bilge pump is necessary & then a charger & then shore power since she'll sit in the water year round. Another - the mast is tapered towards the top, slightly curved back & the mast-head quite different from that in the 1981 owners manual. Yet another, we have mahogany on our bulkhead in the cockpit along with slats for the sitting area (no lazarette)....looks beautiful & classic, but there are support issues. Our mast is not deck stepped but rather goes thru a hole into a base plate in the cabin. We don't know what our rigging tension requirements are either. Love having this classic....but so many unanswered questions.

So you can see why we'd like to find a copy of a very early Typhoon owners manual that would cover our 1969 hull #27. Thanks again for any help.
Full Sails & Calm Seas,

Chris & Dale Schnell
s/v MISS DALE, #27
1969 Alberg Typhoon Weekender
Southport, NC