Chesapeake Bay to Casco Bay

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Patrick Harrison
Location: CD 30MKII, "Alatna" Hull #27, CD 10 Hull #628, Raymond,N.H.

Chesapeake Bay to Casco Bay

Post by Patrick Harrison »

Weather permitting and all goes well, I'll be casting off from Irvington, VA and headed to South Freeport, ME on the 22nd of June. This will be the maiden voyage of the vessel now know as Alatna CD30 MKII. Her slip is waiting her arrival at Bewer's in South Freeport.
This will be a single handed marathon adventure using all the day light I can, hoping the currants will coincide with my passage as I make my approach to the canals.
"Speak softly and carey a big stick, you will go far" Theodore Roosevelt
jerryaxler

Casco Bay transit.

Post by jerryaxler »

Wishing for the right current may work in the C&D, but it won't work for the Cape Cod Canal. If your taking the inside route, wishing won't work for Sandy Hook to Hell's GAte either. Get an Elridges and time your passages according to the current tables.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Patrick Harrison

Hoping

I think I said hoping,
I have the Eldridge tide and pilot book for 2008, Reed's Nautical Almanac, East Coast 2008 and also but not least "Tidal Current Tables 2008" Atlantic Coast of North America, formerly published by NOAA, all tables unaltered and unabridged put out by Mcgraw Hill. Not taking any chances on the currants of any canal no matter the opinion,
If I were to wish, it would be for a 100+million dollar lottery ticket so I could drop my W-2 anchor that keeps me on shore. The odds aren't in my favor so I don't play anyways.
Hoping you understand. :wink:
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Cape Cod Canal

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Just caught up to this thread. But you can call the Corp of Engineers for information on making the canal transit or look up the current flow times. You have a lot of power for a sailboat, but you really want a fair current going through the canal. Almost at the east end of the canal there is a small marina. (last gas before Maine) and there are many places in Buzzards Bay to await a fair tide through the canal. I have never single handed the distance you are going. But be sure to get enough rest between legs. Safe and enjoyable journey.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Patrick Harrison

Thank you

Thank you Dick, I'll keep an eye open for the marina.