mast step on weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bsaul

mast step on weekender

Post by bsaul »

Hello: I just purchased a 1975 weekender. At the base of the mast step there appears to be a hole that requires some type of locking pin. This must be a second pin and is not the one that runs through the mast. Looking at the part on one of the part sites it does not show this pin nor the hole for it. Maybe this was the mast base on the older models?

Currently I am using a screw driver for this missing pin. Please see below.

Also, if anyone has a list of deck parts for this boat along with names and part numbers it would be a great help to me as I would like to update as many as I can.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhoto ... 6074999413

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Spartan_Sp ... _mast.html
D Rush

"Tabernacle Pin"

Post by D Rush »

The pin maybe called a "Tabernacle Pin"

Scroll down the Spartan page that you bookmarked.

Tabernacle Pin Assembly: SP-662:
SS 5/16" Pin Assembly includes aluminum spacer tube and cotter pin to lock in place in 5/16" hole in mast. Used with SP-661 Tabernacle.
Denis
bsaul

Post by bsaul »

Thanks. At first I thought that as well. However, I think that pin (SP-622) goes through the center of the mast as you can see in my pic. Also the (SP-621) bracket on the parts site right above the SP-622) pin does not show the hole that I have the screw driver going through.

It's kind of weird. It's almost like the bracket on my boat had a secondary pin as maybe a back up and then it was determine that the SP-622 was enough.
Tod M

BSaul, I agree that the pin...

Post by Tod M »

shown on the Spartan page is the on in the center of your mast.

The sleeve that the cotter pin holds would be inside the mast keeping the pin centered.

Notice how the tabernacle shown on their page lacks the second set of holes? Do the holes in your tabernacle appear to have any anodizing to the inside of them? If they do, it would indicate factory. Lack might (not definitive - could just be wear) indicate owner addition.

If the second pin acts as a keeper, I'd be inclined to use it although obviously Spartan doesn't seem to think it is necessary. Seems like a mast can do funny things if the boat is flopping around in powerboat chop.

If your gooseneck is a sliding style, you could attach a hold-down to that second pin so that you can tension the luff of your main.

Just some musings.....
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

I think it's a PO add-on

Post by RIKanaka »

Could it have been used for a bail for a boom vang? I considered the same modification but ended up installing a padeye in the mast track for the mast attachment of the vang.

Any pin inserted in that position would not be adequate to hold up the mast up. That's the forestay's job.
Last edited by RIKanaka on Jun 4th, '08, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
D Rush

Then maybe

Post by D Rush »

the 3/8" Stainless Steel pins used on the Hinged Mastplate assembly like on my CD25.
Denis
Lew Gresham

Mast!

Post by Lew Gresham »

Brian,

I see you posted the picture you sent me. I enlarged it so others can see the mast section that's bent (curled under). The block that's guiding the halyards does not look original to Cape Dory's block. Their block had Tufnol sheeves and the block was rivited in place. Is yours fastened with screws? Your boom is also very low. Another reason I am thinking maybe the mast has been shorten.
The second picture is John's mast and tabernacle. It's all original Cape Dory. The Tabernacle is designed to hold the mast in place. I am not sure the bottom of the mast is setting in it's proper place on the tabernacle. Because your mast was damaged the PO thought a safety pin was necessary. Just a thought!

Weekender
hull #914