Yacht Club Reciprocity

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Barthel

Yacht Club Reciprocity

Post by Dick Barthel »

I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge about how a yacht club goes about securing the most useful and wide spread reciprocity for its members. Is there some central organization involved or is it done on a yacht club by yacht club basis?

Dick
lubeckmaine

access

Post by lubeckmaine »

there's some kind of registry you give big bucks to be published in- i know, my club downeast didn't think we could afford it, we'd rather spend money on our youth sailing program :wink:
Dalton

Club by Club

Post by Dalton »

It's an agreement from club to club and someone has to do the leg work. At our club it's the Yachting Commitee. True reciprocity is when you can actually sign and stay, dine, drink and play and the bill will be sent to your club. Your club pays the bill and bills you. We have that setup with about a dozen clubs on lower NY harbor and Long Island Sound. Beyond that I've found that most clubs will let you stay and use the facilities and simply pay as you go. Most don't even ask for any sort of membership card. The more exclusive clubs will only let you visit when a member sponsors you. Great fun. Last Summer we did a lazy one week trip into the Sound where we stayed at five different clubs and anchored twice.

GD
mike ritenour

Great Lake Clubs

Post by mike ritenour »

We have the same kind of arrangement on Lake Ontario.  Our  club , "Island Yacht Club", has privileges with all the other clubs on the lake. 
We try and call ahead to let them know we are in a club and are looking for an anchorage, mooring ball or dock, depending on our needs.

When we are out of the lake, we always sail with a fist full of burgees and cards to present to the local Commodores.

Those presentations usually wind up evolving around a great party and the making of a lot of wonderful friends.

rit
Ed Haley

In addition, the CDSOA

Post by Ed Haley »

Has reciprocity at the Royal Canadian Yacht Club in Toronto, ON (on Toronto Island). The first two nights are fre and it's $10. per night afterward. I'm not sure of the maximum length of stay per season.

The CDSOA also has reciprocity at the Kingston Yacht Club in Kingston, ON.

Any member of a yacht club on Lake Ontario that participates in the club's extending it's facilities to other yacht clubs will have a reciprocity similar to the visitor's yacht club. That's the general rule. Some are different - such as Oak Orchard YC where facilities (overnight slip fees) are $5.00 per night.

Of course, it all depends upon availability of an empty slip.