Typhoon question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Typhoon question

Post by barfwinkle »

an individual has contacted me regarding the size of the steel plate on a trailer for a Ty. The plate in question is the steel plate the keel rest on when its on the trailer. My trailer is 10" channel iron.

Can anyone provide me with the width of the keel/steel plate on their trailer?

Thanks
Bill Member #250.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I cannot give you dimensions, but I do remember that my Ty trailer had something like a 2x8 or 2x10 to pad the keel-to-steel contact point!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
ronkberg

Re: Typhoon question

Post by ronkberg »

Hi Bill, my plate is also about 10" and it has a 4X8" board in the channel that is the full length of the bottom of the keel. The front of the channel has another 4X8" board mounted perpendicular to the keel and is used as a stop for the boat. When correctly positioned, the aft and of the keel is barley off the board and thus does not put any pressure on the rudder base.

[quote="barfwinkle"]an individual has contacted me regarding the size of the steel plate on a trailer for a Ty. The plate in question is the steel plate the keel rest on when its on the trailer. My trailer is 10" channel iron.

Can anyone provide me with the width of the keel/steel plate on their trailer?

Thanks[/quote]
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine