Thar She Blows! (S/V Tadpole Picture)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dean Abramson

Thar She Blows! (S/V Tadpole Picture)

Post by Dean Abramson »

If you want to see a photo of the famous S/V Tadpole, please go to:
http://www.mainephoto.com/folios/Tadpole.1133[1].JPG
I am hosting this shot for Robert.

That is one fine looking Typhoon! We are talking Bristol here.

Robert tells me that the outboard's plastic crate is mandated in the harbor "to protect other boats." Go figure.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
mahalocd36

Re: Thar She Blows! (S/V Tadpole Picture)

Post by mahalocd36 »

Ah...milk crates. Kinda reminds me of college furniture.
Wooden spool table, anyone?

Beautiful Robert - we are so happy for you!
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
wingreen

nice!

Post by wingreen »

Well done, Robert! She is certainly a looker. Is that a Cheoy Lee 35 in the background? Sweet...
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Dean:

Thank you very much for posting the picture. I am hopeful this finally convinces those few remaining "doubting Toms" that I actually did, at long last, buy a Cape Dory. :)

Wingreen:

Yes, that is a Cheoy Lee owned by a club member. The picture does not do her justice. Her substantial teak is beautiful. The owner spends a lot of time maintaining the teak, but, to his credit, he also sails a lot - or so I am told.

Melissa:

The crate on the O/B is intended to prevent the prop or shaft from gauging other boats should they accidentally bump. Given the distance between moorings I am told this is almost impossible to happen but ALL sailboats with O/B motors hanging off the stern are required by club rules to put a plastic crate or bucket, etc. over the prop while on a mooring.

I delivered two of my head sails to a local sail cleaner today. They have several rust stains each although no tears. He said he can completely remove the rust stains and "whiten" them "a little".

He suggested there are "several years" of good use yet from these sails although he also said there is really no way to "stiffen" them. Right now they are like soft cotton which I believe I learned reduces their effectiveness.

The sail cleaner said it looks like the original Cape Dory labeled head sail (with a longer luff) is a 100 jib and the one made in Hong Kong by Rolly Tasker (with a shorter luff but longer foot) is a 110. Should have them back in 5-6 days. I was a little surprised at the estimated cost. He said less than $50 per sail. I will let you know next week if this was a good deal or not. Several different sailors (racers, cruisers and club members) all recommended this company.

Until then I will practice dropping and picking up a mooring ball single handed and try not to bump into any of the other sailboats in the mooring field in the process. :oops:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
D Rush

Post by D Rush »

Very Nice!
I'm envious of your boat's "blond" teak.
Denis
ronkberg

SeaHunt, now I am REALLY jealous

Post by ronkberg »

Robert, your lengthy search paid off well and she looks beautiful. Yesterday I took the cover off my Ty and was feeling proud of how nice she looks. However, your's looks so much better and floating in April.......not common in Maine........makes me vewwy, vewwy jealous.

Congrats once again and I am sure we will be hearing more about your sailing. Be careful and confident that the little yacht will handle much more than most of sailors desire.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Gary H

That is a real beauty

Post by Gary H »

I must confess that following your posts for the past year, I had you pegged for no action, talk only. Was I ever wrong - my apologies!
You clearly knew what you were looking for and succeeded in finding it. That is a beautiful Typhoon - it is motivating me to get to work on mine.
Dick Barthel

Nice!

Post by Dick Barthel »

You done good Robert. Thanks for posting the pics Dean.

Dick
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Beautiful! It was worth the waiting.

Post by Joe Myerson »

Robert,

She's a beauty!

And you did the right thing (perhaps a bit more slowly than some of us)--waiting until you found THE boat you wanted.

Great job, man!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
wingreen

Cheoy Lee vs Typhoon

Post by wingreen »

Yeah, the Cheoy Lee is a sweet, sweet vessel, but the Ty looks right at home beside her.

Eventually, when I have more time for cruising, perhaps in 10 or so years, I'll want to get something a little larger than my Ty. When that happens, I have a short list I'll be looking for:

CD 27, 28, or 30
Herreshoff Alerion, Rozinante, or 32 (I'd LOVE a NY 30, but we're probably talking $$$ more than I'll be willing to spend)
Cheoy Lee 30, 32 or 35

I suppose I'm trying to say that our CDs are elite vessels. They consistently make peoples' short list of dream boats, and they hold their own against vessels several feet larger than themselves.
Tod M

Very nice, Robert!

Post by Tod M »

She's a beaut!
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Great looking boat. I love it.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

My apologies to everyone for not timely responding to your very kind good wishes. I have received several PMs as well.

I am very grateful to everyone for all of your good wishes. As painful as it was for me (and undoubtedly, more painful for all of you) I think I made the right decision by being patient and waiting until I found a CD that was what I wanted.

Unfortunately, the last few days have been hectic and NOT devoted to sailing.

The other night my water heater broke some time in the middle of the night and flooded my entire house with 1"-2" of water from some time after 2300 hours (I went to bed) until 0730 hours (I got out of bed and stepped into 2" of water :!:

A company came to the house that Wednesday morning to suck out the water and install heaters, blowers, fans, etc. to try to dry out the house. A plumber came to remove the bad heater and install a new good one. In the process of soldering a pipe he fried my Internet cable (don't ask how he did this) and kind of forgot to tell me he did so :!: I have not had Internet for about 1 1/2 days more or less.

Anyway, I need to be at the house for the next few days monitoring the heaters, dryers, fans, etc. My house sounds like an F16 is on final ramp launch :!: :!: :!:

I hope to be able to visit my Ty Tues or Wed of next week. Until then, I shall be sad and forlorn :cry: :cry: Fortunately, I am moored next to a good friend who has volunteered to check on her daily. He has a Compac 32 (?) at the club but also owns a CD Ty Weekender that he has stored at his house.

I wish everyone a great weekend :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Dick Barthel

Better the house

Post by Dick Barthel »

It occurs to me that it is much better to have had this watery experience at your house rather than aboard the S/V Tadpole!
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Congratulations

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Robert, (aka Tadpole)

I'm writing this for two reasons. The most important of which is to offer congratulations and best wishes on your acquisition of a most beautiful Typhoon that seems to be in excellent condition.

The second reason for writing may at first may sound a little controversial, but I assure you that that is not the intent. I may hate myself in the morning for saying the following, but here goes.

I am looking at the profile of the boat as she lies at mooring with no one aboard. At first glance, she seems to be riding low in the stern. I am wondering if there is something causing an uneven weight distribution. My second thought is that maybe the waterline isn't true.

The main reason that I bring this up is if she really is low at the stern and not merely an optical illusion, it may affect your cockpit drain scuppers from working efficiently. This can be determined if you lay a spirit (bubble) level on the cockpit floor running fore and aft, with no one aboard. I can't imagine that the outboard motor would have this much effect on the boat's trim, especially when being partly counterbalanced by the weight of a chain mooring rode.

And then, again, this may be much ado about nothing. Whatever, congratulations and good luck with your new Ty.

Best regards,
O J