Brown Bottom Paint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jack Carr

Brown Bottom Paint

Post by Jack Carr »

Brown bottom paint seems to have disappeared off the shelves. I've checked with a number of marine supply shops, boat yards, and google. Anyone have a source?
Jack
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Red and black make a nice chocolately brown.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Ed Haley

Defender has Micron Extra brown

Post by Ed Haley »

There may be others but I, too, had to look around for brown in Micron Extra.

Inland Marine Supply in Assonet, MA is the last place I ordered from.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I too used brown and when I couldn't find it I switched to what I now consider a much better look, BRONZE . It's non-ablative, modified epoxy, low to moderate fouling. It might not be the right formula for you, I understand, BUT the look on a CD is outstanding...

Pettit Copper Bronze - Gallon 296923 1933-GA Only $219.99
Randy 25D Seraph #161
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Brown bottom paint

Post by seadawg »

Just bought a gallon of brown Micron Extra from Defender. Maybe I should of waited for their sale.
Dick Spangler

Brown Bottom Paint

Post by Dick Spangler »

I had the Micron brown paint applied to my CD31 last year. I thought it looked just right. I also used Epifanes Yacht Enamel for the boot stripe. I couldn't find the colors I wanted to test in stock at the regular sources so I ordered two different colors directly from the manufacturer. While I paid more, their service was excellent. Plus, they demonstrated the correct pronunciation of Epifanes.
Craig Curtis
Belmont Harbor, Chicago IL

Post by Craig Curtis »

Here's the link for what colors are available for different Micron paints. I too liked the brown but I've found that the Micron CSC works best for me and unfortunately brown isn't one of their options (while it is for the Extra with Biolux.) Function won out over form so I use the red.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/USA/general/colorcard.asp

Best Regards,

Craig Curtis
1990 Cape Dory 40 "Coalescence"
Belmont Harbor
Chicago, IL
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hi

Post by winthrop fisher »

you have to order it at the store or on line....
thats happen to me before....winthrop
Clay Stalker

Hamilton Marine in Maine

Post by Clay Stalker »

I bought some brown from Hamilton Marine in Portland Maine a few years ago.....since have switched to red.
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Jack Carr

Brown Paint Research

Post by Jack Carr »

Thanks for the idea of mixing red and black bottom paint. It got me thinking and I googled color mixing and discovered the best browns have red, blue, and yellow. As black has all colors in it, mixing it with red does produce a brown. Apparently, you can also mix red with a dark blue and get a respectable reddish brown. Anyway, thanks to the board I'll have my brown paint this spring (which can't come soon enough!).
Jack
The Patriot

Re: Brown Paint Research

Post by The Patriot »

Jack Carr wrote: ... As black has all colors in it ...
Not to pick nits but ... my recollection of Freshman Optics is that white is a combination of all colors, and black is the absence of all colors. I stand ready to endure retaliatory nit-picks.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Interlux Micron Extra with Biolux comes in dark brown

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Interlux Micron Extra with Biolux is available in brown. We have no problem getting it from the ship's store at the boatyard where we keep our boat -- Lockwood Boat Works , Morgan, NJ.

You can also get it from:
Jamestown Distributors, Bristol, RI
Defender Industries, Waterford, CT
West Marine, if you get it from West Marine, order it while you're in the store and have it delivered to the store.
Fawcett Boat Supplies, Annapolis, MD
Performance Yacht Systems, online store
Boatersland Marine, online store
Boat Bandit, online store
Starboard Supply, online store
ShipStore.com, online store
....the list goes on.

Search the internet for:
Interlux Micron Extra

Or, if your local ship's store doesn't have it on the shelf, ask them to order it for you. Ask around the boat yard and find out if anyone else is looking for brown ablative. You might be better off if they can place a single order for multiple gallons of the sampe paint -- you never know.

Good luck with your search.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Gary H

Colors

Post by Gary H »

It is white light that contains all colors and black light that has no colors. So mixing lights is additive. When you are dealing with an object, it is a different story. A painted white object reflects all colors and absorbs none, while a painted red object reflects only red and a painted black object reflects no colors and absorbs all. So mixing paints is a subtractive process.
Bob L

interlux micron with biolux

Post by Bob L »

Check some hardware stores for micron w/biolux. Across the street from the West Marine in Annapolis is a True Value that sells a gallon (any color) for $163 (summer '07). Thanks to our CDSOA Fleet Captain for this info.

Bob L
BillNH

Another brown bottom paint being discontinued...

Post by BillNH »

Was told the other day that Interlux Fiberglass Bottomkote ACT, the ablative paint, is being discontinued in brown. The big blue boating megastore reports none in any stores or the warehouse, and said that brown is no longer available. I guess not enough boats beside CDs are using brown...

Hamilton Marine has 5 gallons left (after I got mine) if anyone is interested. I've found it to work well and its a fair bit cheaper than the Micron Extra.