Boat (sort of) Parting Ceremony?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Duncan Maio

Boat (sort of) Parting Ceremony?

Post by Duncan Maio »

I am in the process of separating the bow and stern of a WW II era DUKW - a "Duck Boat" - for a museum exhibit, and wondered if there is an appropriate ceremony to accompany the event.

Perhaps something similar to Vigor's Denaming Ceremony is familiar to someone on the board. We don't want to upset the Greater Powers of water (or, this close to the Superbowl, football).

Progress photos at:

http://cdstuff.snapfish.com/snapfish
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
John Vigor

Decommissioning pennant

Post by John Vigor »

Duncan, you'd need a decommissioning pennant of some sort. The ceremony should consist of cutting the pennant in half lengthwise with scissors (to symbolize the splitting of the DUKW) while consuming copious drafts of champagne.

Someone around here suggested a bikini top for the pennant, one cup to go with each half of the duck boat, but I think that would make the cutting/toasting ceremony too quick.

This is obviously a unique ceremony, and not one that would readily be repeated, so you need to make the most of your toasting time.

Perhaps someone could suggest a suitably mournful poem or monologue to accompany the scissoring/toasting, thus prolonging matters somewhat and adding dignity to the occasion.

Are you actually chopping the thing in half? I guess half a duck is better than no duck, but not a whole duck? Is the museum too small?

Cheers,

John Vigor
Duncan Maio

Half a Duck

Post by Duncan Maio »

Photos of the separation are uploaded:

http://cdstuff.snapfish.com/snapfish

The decommissioning, after John's suggestion, more or less, will be this evening.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Duck boats

Post by Kurt »

FYI - There's still a fleet of WWII duck boats in operation at the Wisconsin Dells. I first rode them 50 years ago and last rode them in 2006. Fun vehicles.