Dave Brandt's Restoration of Prairie

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Dave Brandt's Restoration of Prairie

Post by Sandy D. »

Hi Dave,
I followed the link that Henery had supplied in respect to your anchor roller. Thanks again for your help.

In that thread Henry included a link to the pictures of your restoration of "Prairie" and I must hand it to you,thats one sweet looking girl. You really did a beautiful job. I don't know how to cut&paste the link,but I hope somebody will for all to see.

I've got a couple questions about the interior if you would be so kind. I assume that you had the "Teak" laminate for your interior and you painted it white? I'm planing to do the same to Blind Faith in the near future. The pattern on the laminate is accualy pretty good,but for some reason knowing that it's fake wood bugs the heck out of me,and painting it white will really show off the real teak trim,as your Prairie proves.( Seems to me this style has a name)

Could you tell me what you used for paint and what you did to the laminate to prep it. Thanks again for all your help

-Sandy
Lee Kaufman

Link

Post by Lee Kaufman »

Is this the link you were talking about?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9447350@N0 ... 605439417/
D Rush

Post by D Rush »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9447350@N04/sets/

This link will bring you to Dave Brandt's Photo sets on Flickr.
Select the "Restoration of CD-25 #378" to see detailed photos of the restoration.

One of the pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9447350@N0 ... 596173271/
has a caption "Looking aft, painting is done. I rolled on a single part polyurethane. It went on really and has held up. "
Denis
Dalton

Herreshoff

Post by Dalton »

Is the style referred to.

GD
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Interior Paint

Post by Dave Brandt »

Sandy,

I agree with you said about the "wood look" laminate. Prairie did have that same style of interior and it overwhelmed the nice teak trim that Cape Dory used. I thought the interior was very dark and could use some lightening up.

The other reason I painted the interior is that I tabbed in all of the structural bulkheads. The four bulkheads that support the mast were not very well attached and I wanted to carry the mast load from the steel frame in the cabin top to the hull. Also the aft bulk heads ( they were really just dividers , and not supporting ), under the forward part of the cockpit were replaced with bulkheads that support the cockpit ( sagging here is a problem with the CD-25 ) and carry the load to the hull. So, I had quit a bit of work that needed to be painted.

After cleaning the laminate I sanded it using a random orbit sander with 80 and 120 grit, it was primed and then 4 to 5 coats of single part poly urethane were rolled on with small foam rollers. The paint I used was a Val Spar brand marine poly urethane enamel. I am not sure this product is still available, but something like Interlux would work too, the Val Spar was less expensive than other marine brands.

The process was somewhat slow and tedious, but I am very pleased with the results, it's very durable and now the teak trim really stands out. Also, touch up is very easy and blends in nicely.

Dave