1GM compression test

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

1GM compression test

Post by seadawg »

Even though the little diesel is running good I would like to do a compression test annually as part of a tune-up. I have an adapter that replaces the injector and the gauge and hose. The hose ends in 1/4 npt threads and the adapter has 1/4 npt threads. The problem is there needs to be a check valve in series with the gauge and I have been unable to find the required check valve. Does anyone out there know where I can locate one of these valves? Thanks, Charlie.
Derek Matheson

Check valve for compression test

Post by Derek Matheson »

(12-06-07 edited post to change from 500psi to 1000psi valve)

As always Mcmaster Carr has all the goodies you need at http://www.mcmaster.com/

7775K12 Brass Spring-Loaded Piston Check Valve 1/4" NPTF Dryseal Female Connections, Buna-N Seat
In stock at $12.49 Each

Above is the 1000psi rated valve, also has a .3psi cracking pressure. A better choice.
Last edited by Derek Matheson on Dec 6th, '07, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

1GM compression test

Post by seadawg »

Thank you for your very helpful post Derek. In case someone else is referencing this post the check valve should be rated to 1000 psi for a diesel engine. Thanks again, Charlie.