25d galley pump, mixing elbow inspection, heat gun

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

frankfurder

25d galley pump, mixing elbow inspection, heat gun

Post by frankfurder »

2 or 3 questions-

1. I thought I saw a post on replacements for the stock galley and head water hand pumps but couldnt find it in my search? Anyone out there have the information? I think they are whale pumps but dont know who supplies them now.

2. I attempted to remove my exhaust mixing elbow but it became apparent that the 1 1/2" hose from the elbow to the water lift would have to be sacraficed to remove the elbow for a proper inspection. Upon removal of the return hose at the top of the elbow, i poked (easily) a screwdriver down the hole and it tapped solid metal.

Is this sufficient to know that corrosion has not short circuited the water return into the cylinder head?

3. I used a heat gun for the first time to soften up the old Cetol for removal and refinish. Anyone with experience and anything I should look out for? On high setting it bubbles up the old finish and following with a scraper, appears to efficiently remove most of the old finish. Seems better than sanding? Thoughts?
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Merry Christmas Captain Furder

I have replaced both water pumps, but the in the galley I used a whale foot pump and a plain jane spigot.

The pump in the Head was a special order from west marine, but it was the same "foot print" however it is white where my old one was chrome. Both of these pumps were special order. The foot pump because it was designed to be used with the intake and exhaust were on the left side as you look at the face. I can't remember why the pump in the head was special order unless it was because WM didn't stock them any more.

I can help with the Cetol question, but my mixing elbow came off quite easily, so not much help there as well.

I'll be in you area over the Holidays, it you are around and agreeable, and if the admiral will allow (mine) I wouldnt mind seeing how you have your 25D rigged.

Happy Holidays
Bill Member #250.
RC James

Stiff Exhaust Hose

Post by RC James »

Before you destroy the exhaust hose, try running the engine for a few minutes. The combination of exhaust heat and warm exhaust water will allow the hose to become more supple, and you may be able to save the hose for reuse. Definitely replace all 4 hose clamps.

Re the exhaust elbow... just replaced mine. The metal that you felt under your screwdriver is the INNER exhaust pipe (it carries the hot engine exhuast to near the end of the elbow) while the OUTER pipe carries the warmed engine water which spills over the inner pipe and cools the exhaust gases enought to let them run thru your exhaust hose w/out melting it. A doublewalled exhaust pipe system (hence the high cost).
rtbates

Re: 25d galley pump, mixing elbow inspection, heat gun

Post by rtbates »

frankfurder wrote:2 or 3 questions-

2. I attempted to remove my exhaust mixing elbow but it became apparent that the 1 1/2" hose from the elbow to the water lift would have to be sacraficed to remove the elbow for a proper inspection. Upon removal of the return hose at the top of the elbow, i poked (easily) a screwdriver down the hole and it tapped solid metal.

Is this sufficient to know that corrosion has not short circuited the water return into the cylinder head?
I found that be loosening ALL the hose clamps on the exhaust hose I was able to get the elbow off and on without destroying the hose.

IF you're talking about the water INLET hose at the top (1/2") then yes you're probably ok to go. That's assuming that any defect will happen at that spot,a big assumption.
Randy 25D Seraph #161