Oil Level 1GM10

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jddj

Oil Level 1GM10

Post by jddj »

The boatyard recently changed my 1GM10's oil and filter. I noticed that the oil level is ~1/8 " above the full level on the dispstick. Any concern about potential damage? Should I pull some out - a bit of a pain as she is being put away for the winter.
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

While too much can be almost as bad as not enough, I don't think you need to worry about an amount that small. You need room for thermal expansion and foaming but modern oil is so much better than the old stuff I think you will be fine.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Mark
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Oil Level

Post by seadawg »

Was the engine run after the oil & filter change? It takes some oil to saturate the new filter. Otherwise next spring I would pull a little oil out just to be safe.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Oil level

Post by sgbernd »

I wouldn't worry about anything that small. Over the years as a "do it myself" oil changer, this has happed on probably every vehicle I've owned at some time, never with any ill result. Even if you overfill it by a lot (like 1 qt), the only problem I ever noticed is it may start to seep out. Worst case is you wipe up a bit more leakage.

In one extreme case I know, due to a mix up at an oil change place, the new oil was filled without draining the old, that is, 4+ qts were added to what was already in the crankcase in a V-8 car. It smoked, and ran poorly, but upon returning it to the shop, draining and filling to the proper level, no harm was done and the car gave years more service.
John G.

1/8" ?

Post by John G. »

Where was boat when oil change was done, and where is boat now? The level of engine will change quite a bit in different locations. If boat is now on the hard it is probably pitched aft to allow water to run off so checking oil level is tough to judge.
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

I would not worry about that small an overfill. It may be that the filter is empty now, and that after you run the engine next spring, you will be just right, or even need to add a little.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
marv brinn

fill er up

Post by marv brinn »

that much is not a problem.If you clean your boat with a toothbrush and it makes you feel /sleep better suction it out.One quart can cause a pblm ,foaming or blowing seals in some motors .
none