Interior Wood Maintenance

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Interior Wood Maintenance

Post by Evergreen »

Hello:

We have a 1986 CD36 with a varnished interior. The interior wood work is showing signs of wear and really should be refinished, however, we can't afford the ridiculous cost of having it done right now and we can't do it ourselves.

Questions:
1) What can we use to clean (such a mildew) and preserve the wood and its finish without adding a coating of something that will just complicate the proper refinishing when it is finally done?
2) Do most people refinish interiors with varnish or polyurethane?
3) What kind of wood is on the surface the interior plywood panelling?

I thank you in advance for your input.

Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Russell

Re: Interior Wood Maintenance

Post by Russell »

Evergreen wrote:Hello:

We have a 1986 CD36 with a varnished interior. The interior wood work is showing signs of wear and really should be refinished, however, we can't afford the ridiculous cost of having it done right now and we can't do it ourselves.

Questions:
1) What can we use to clean (such a mildew) and preserve the wood and its finish without adding a coating of something that will just complicate the proper refinishing when it is finally done?
2) Do most people refinish interiors with varnish or polyurethane?
3) What kind of wood is on the surface the interior plywood panelling?

I thank you in advance for your input.

Philip & Sharon
Having looked at your CD36 when I was shopping for mine, I can tell you that your interior is in far far better condition then most out there!

For basicly cleanup, such a mold and mildew that finds its way into the wood grain, I use a 50% water 50% white vinigar solution, it works well and doesnt hurt the finish.

I have slowly been refinishing my interior, which in most places just involves a light sanding and a fresh coat, some areas have needed stripping though, such as around the hatches. I have been using epiphanes rubbed effect varnish. Its a tad more glossy then whatever CD used origonally, but I am pleased with the results.

The veneer on the plywood is teak. Other parts of your boat have ash, but thats solid, not veneer.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ed Haley

Ditto on the Epithanes Rubbed Effect varnish (nm)

Post by Ed Haley »

Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

lemon oil furniture polish works great on interior teak-its death to mildew also!
Maine Sail

Be very, very careful with furniture polish

Post by Maine Sail »

Be very, very careful with furniture polish as much of this crap contains SILICONE! You DO NOT want to use ANY product containing ANY amount of silicone what so ever and LOTS of makers of furniture oils & polishes add silicone because it's cheap and puts a nice fake shine on.

The problem with silicone is in the future. If you use silicone now on a oiled interior finish, of which many CD's are, you've basically ruined any future chances of upgrading to a varnish or polyurethane finish in the future because NOTHING will stick to silicone!

If your interior has mold in the wood grain it's most likely an oiled finish and not a varnish. To keep up with an oiled interior I really like Weiman's Lemon Oil. Weiman's is the only lemon oil I've found that contains NO SILICONE and actually states it right on the bottle!

Believe it or not the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and regular H20 do a great job at cleaning mold from dirty interior oiled teak and with no chemicals!

Weiman's Lemon Oil: http://www.weiman.com/products/furnitur ... screen.php
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles