Dickinson Heater

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Dickinson Heater

Post by David Sabourin »

Do any of you fellow CDrs have one of these heaters? Mine runs off the main fuel tank and is a Newport model. I purchased it from Mike R and had it installed here in Md. The thing heats real good but is dirty burning and leaves sooty ash all over the deck. Anyone have any similar experiences? Any info would be welcomed.
Russell

Re: Dickinson Heater

Post by Russell »

David Sabourin wrote:Do any of you fellow CDrs have one of these heaters? Mine runs off the main fuel tank and is a Newport model. I purchased it from Mike R and had it installed here in Md. The thing heats real good but is dirty burning and leaves sooty ash all over the deck. Anyone have any similar experiences? Any info would be welcomed.
A friend of mine has the same one, he raised his flue a few feet above deck(top was about parallel to the boom), rather then just having it end right above the deck and it solved the problems.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Post by David Sabourin »

Thanks for that info, Russell
Ed Haley

Smokin' heater

Post by Ed Haley »

I have a similar setup on my boat. The fuel passes into the stove and then proceeds through a needle valve where the stream is mitered out for proper combustion: too little and the flame goes out - too much and it overflows into a holding tank. But it never burns smoky.

I suspect you may have a blockage in your air inlet - maybe a spider cocoon or something like that. Even a shut-off valve that may be closed.

Another possibility is that there is no updraft in the flue. You have to get the flue hot before you open the fuel line to the heater to begin burning. This is done by burning a tablespoon or two of fuel in the chimney to get it hot just before you open the fuel stream to the heater (just as the flame starts to go out).
mike ritenour

Soot

Post by mike ritenour »

David,

Glad to hear you've got the heater installed, sorry to hear you've to the sooties.

Ed's right on. I would also suspect a blocked stack, short stack or even too much fuel.

I'd be interested in knowing what the solution is.

sea u,
Rit
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Post by David Sabourin »

I'll keep you posted. I think the flue length is not sufficient and I need to add a foot and a half above the deck.