Replacing cockpit drain valves on Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

oyster22

Replacing cockpit drain valves on Typhoon

Post by oyster22 »

The ball valves on my Typhoon (for drains from cockpit sometimes I think referred to as seacocks) have been stuck in open position since I've owned the boat. I've never been terribly bothered by this condition. I'm trying to envision a scenario where I'd want them closed before I go out and invest money in replacing them. Any help with this much appreciated...
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

Hi:

One particular scenario where you would want to be able to close them is if one of the hoses failed. Where the hoses connect to the drain valves is below the water line on the Typhoon. Thus, if the hose fails, the boat will fill with water and sink. It is therefore important to free them (drain valves) up so they can be easily opened and closed or replace them. Opening/closing should then be done on a regular basis to make sure they can be closed in an emergency. It is also important to check the condition of the hoses and to replace them if necessary. The hoses should also be double clamped on each end. Therefore, make sure the clamps are also in good condition.

Jim
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Either replace them or see if you can get them working again. In the meantime, invest in several wood plugs so you can close the hole in your boat if a hose fails.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I once had four averaged sized adults in the cockpit for dinner and to listen to live music on the beach. None of the guests had much experience on the water. We anchored up close to shore and then everyone settled into the cockpit to eat our picnic, have a beer and listen to the music. When water started pouring into the cockpit for no apparent reason I would not say there was panic but there was indeed some concern among my guests. This had never happen to me before but it was easy to figure out that we had sunk the cockpit sole below the water line. It was also easy to move forward, allow the water to drain, then shut the seacocks. They needed to be opened again before the boat was left on the mooring so any rain water would drain. Some people have had similar problems with water coming in the leeward drain while sailing. There is some information about crossing hoses in the archives. If you are not going to have operable seacocks a better scenario might be to have none at all with soft wood plugs to jamb in the openings if something bad were to happen.

You are right, for the most part, you never need the cockpit drain seacocks, Steve.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Thanks for this topic...Everytime I go below on my new to me typhoon, I find myself looking at those hoses...On my hunter I have regular seacocks and used lithium grease to lubricate them..they work much smoother...I plan on removing the hoses, inspecting and lubing these...nice topic..
Appleton68

Recommendations???

Post by Appleton68 »

Does anybody have a brand name and/or size for the valves?
Greg
ronkberg

Upsized to 3/4"

Post by ronkberg »

Greg, last winter I replaced my original gate valves with 3/4" ID seacocks. I had to open up the through hull holes slightly but then set them in 3M compound and done. Easy job but since I sail singlehanded mostly, I've never closed them. I have closed and opened them monthly and will clean and lubricate in the spring.

I believe the the original valves were 1/2" ID. I do not know the name of the valves but they had marine use tags.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Lang

Alternative.

Post by Lang »

I used 1" thru hull fittings with hose and no valves. Thats right, no valves. Most people feel the need to have the option of closing the valves, I dont. As long as it is fitted properly, it will not fail. Thus far, no problem. Yes, I keep rubber plugs on board.

There is alot of rain around here and it pours in buckets. 1" with no valves allows faster drain and less plugging up potential.

Most sailors advised me not to do it, but .....
oyster22

Thank you all for the insightful advice

Post by oyster22 »

I think the Typhoon's hoses are good and I replaced the clamps last spring. Boat is out of water now and I need to take a flashlight to see if I can't find a part number on the installed valves. There is nothing in the old owners manual. The dicey part will be removing these valves assuming I locate replacements. It's a good thing I don't ski...FR