pfd

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marv brinn

pfd

Post by marv brinn »

Bought a stearns auto inflate offshore jacket...the airlines will not take it on board with co2
the post office will not ship ground..they are not familiar at my p.o. on how this is handled. so I need to buy a co2 cartridge when I arrive in ny ! has anyone had similar experiences?
none
Russell

Re: pfd

Post by Russell »

marv brinn wrote:Bought a stearns auto inflate offshore jacket...the airlines will not take it on board with co2
the post office will not ship ground..they are not familiar at my p.o. on how this is handled. so I need to buy a co2 cartridge when I arrive in ny ! has anyone had similar experiences?
Typical practice is to disarm it and leave the co2 cartridge behind then buy a new one at your destination. Lots of people who crew on passages do just this.

Though I am sure there is a way to ship it, after all several mail order companies ship these things. Check with FedEx. I think the requirements are similar to liferafts, which require a lot of paperwork and hassle to ship via special means. If I was you, I would probably just disarm and buy a rearm kit.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
marv brinn

pfd

Post by marv brinn »

thats exactly what i will need to buy a kit when I get to my destination....only they dont have a kit and I will need to buy a new jacket with harness and return the original one....wish that west marine would have told me earlier
none
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

CO2

Post by Oswego John »

Marv,

I've never worn a self inflatable PFD (not counting a Mae West) so I don't know what kind or size CO2 cylinder your PFD uses.

FWIW, I had an air powered varmint pistol (it got stolen) that used CO2 for power. I used to buy extra cylinders at a local gun and sporting goods shop for a pretty good price. Probably a better price than a store that has "Marine Supplies" on it's sign.

Check it out,
O J
marv brinn

pfd

Post by marv brinn »

dont think Id want to take a chance on using another co2 cartridge in the original parts place.The cartridge seems to have some sort of plastic device on its end rather than just threads...
none
Russell

Re: CO2

Post by Russell »

Oswego John wrote:Marv,

I've never worn a self inflatable PFD (not counting a Mae West) so I don't know what kind or size CO2 cylinder your PFD uses.

FWIW, I had an air powered varmint pistol (it got stolen) that used CO2 for power. I used to buy extra cylinders at a local gun and sporting goods shop for a pretty good price. Probably a better price than a store that has "Marine Supplies" on it's sign.

Check it out,
O J
Hate to disagree with you here OJ, but I must.

First of all this is a device designed to keep you alive! Certainly the markup for the co2 cylinders is outragous, but i would much rather pay that outragous prices and know with absolute certainty that the cylinder works with the device and has enough air to inflate it. I agree that most likely the right cylinder could probably be found (as the pfd manufacturers certainly dont make them themselves) but unless you can be sure 100% that your getting the exact same one with the exact same specs, I wouldnt trust it, and chances are your not going to be able to find that.

Second point is that you may be able to find something that is the right size and will work and inflate properly, how can you be completely sure of the metal makeup of the cylinder and if its suitable for marine use? Keep in mind these pdfs are designed to handle being constantly doused with saltwater and not cleaned for an entire passage, the metal the cylinder is made of needs to be able to withstand that. WHen you buy a cylinder marketed for other uses I doubt they will be able to tell you about its suitablility for salt water.

The PDF is designed to save your life, its no place to save $30, I suggest buying the right cylinder. This is not an item your going to frequently replace, hopefully you will never have to replace it, so its not like its something that your going to be frequently paying for, which makes the cost even less of an issue. But that said, you absolutely do need to make sure the salt tablet that triggers the auto inflate is frequently inspected and replaced, or you will indeed be replacing a lot of co2 cylinders (and give yourself heart attacks when the things suddenly inflates on you while your sailing on a calm dry day.. I speak from experience here!).
Russell
marv brinn

brain surgery

Post by marv brinn »

there are times that you dont want to save money
Brake jobs

brain surgery

pfds
none
marv brinn

brain surgery

Post by marv brinn »

there are times that you dont want to save money
Brake jobs

brain surgery

pfds
none
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

CO2

Post by Oswego John »

Merv, Russell,

You are absolutely 100% correct. There is not one point that I could argue with you on. So pardon me while I wipe the egg off my face.

My post wasn't well thought out, was it? :oops: I guess that I read CO2 and I thought back to my old Crossman. A knee jerk reaction.

Let me change the subject slightly. As I previously said, I never wore an inflatable recently except a Mae West issue years ago. Time marches on, everything seems to change, mostly for the better.

The inflatables that I knew of were one time use throwaways. There was no way to replace the CO2 cartridge, at least to my knowledge. There were no salt or other actuators. You had to yank on two rip cords. I have no idea what metal the CO2 containers were made of but, because of the nature of their use, I'm sure that it was the best available at that time.

My interest has been whetted and you can bet that I'm going to read up on the modern inflatables on the market today.

Again, thanks for the correction, It is of benefit to everyone.
O J
Russell

Post by Russell »

OJ,

The current PDFs still have rip cords, but a single one rather then a double. The variations you can buy them in are pretty wide, you can buy auto inflate with manual rip cord, manual rip cord only, both those variations with or without tether clip ons, etc... (though I cant imagine why you would buy one without tether clip ons, they do exist).

Looking closely at all of them, I personally feel Mustang makes the best one out there. The other big name is SOSpenders. Some smaller companies make them, Petzel(spelling it wrong I think) makes a very cool one with a big price tag that includes a harness that supports the legs as well, a great concept if your being dragged being the boat by a tether, but their product is still not up to snuff with mustang overall.

I actually rarely wear my PDF to be honest, I only wear it when I have crew aboard. I always wear my harness and always clip on when single handing. But if no one else is aboard to turn the boat around if I fall overboard and tether breaks, I dont actually want an auto inflate PDF. I know it sounds morbid, but I would rather drown quicker rather then slower in the case of almost zero survival chance, so no PDF for me when solo, but I am religious about harness and tether.
Russell
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

You need to check with the individual airline.

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Federal policy (international too) now allows CO2 cylinders on the aircraft (think about their lifevests stowed under the seat, the liferafts in the overheard compartments and the slides at the doors), but they left it up to each airline to actually allow them onto the aircraft. Check w/ your airline before hand, if allowed and procedure.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Marvin:

When I participated in the CDSOA Maine cruise this past August, I shipped my PFD (with a CO2 inflation cartridge) via FEDEX to my host/boat captain - Brian Carroll - S/V Solmar. No problems. I (he) shipped it back to Miami via FEDEX. Again, no problems. I think it was about $20-$25 each way. Expensive, but worth it although Brian had graciously offered the use of one of his PFDs on board Solmar. I just felt more comfortable with one I was familiar with and used to - sort of like a BC for scuba.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
marv brinn

pfd

Post by marv brinn »

Next time I will send the co2 ahead of my visit
I called american air NO cartridges allowed!!!
they can only be shipped as a hazardous substance.

I think that I will wear the pfd at all times because i am a bad swimmer and will carry a knife and two signaling devices if I go in
the knife to be used to cut the tether if needed. I read that 47% of these tethers fail if you go in...the one I have has a quick release shackle....But you know who will be in their right mind and able to think clearly if you fall in? I think the best approach is to practice the actual falling into the h20 when you are in a controlled situation. Sea hunt did you ever get a boat???
none
marv brinn

pfd

Post by marv brinn »

Next time I will send the co2 ahead of my visit
I called american air NO cartridges allowed!!!
they can only be shipped as a hazardous substance.

I think that I will wear the pfd at all times because i am a bad swimmer and will carry a knife and two signaling devices if I go in
the knife to be used to cut the tether if needed. I read that 47% of these tethers fail if you go in...the one I have has a quick release shackle....But you know who will be in their right mind and able to think clearly if you fall in? I think the best approach is to practice the actual falling into the h20 when you are in a controlled situation. Sea hunt did you ever get a boat???
none
Russell

Re: You need to check with the individual airline.

Post by Russell »

Mark Yashinsky wrote:Federal policy (international too) now allows CO2 cylinders on the aircraft (think about their lifevests stowed under the seat, the liferafts in the overheard compartments and the slides at the doors), but they left it up to each airline to actually allow them onto the aircraft. Check w/ your airline before hand, if allowed and procedure.
Mark,

Great info! This must be a pretty recent change? Gives something to consider. But also, considering that the difference between airlines can be often hundreds of dollars in price, I wonder how often it will be that its still cheaper just to replace the cartridge on the other side of the trip.

Robert,

Good to know FedEx will ship them, I figured someone must since they are sold mail order. Did you have to fill out any special hazmat paperwork or anything, or was it pretty strait forward? I know with my liferaft, which falls under similar restrictions, its a huge ordeal and no major carrier will ship it, it takes pre arranged courier services, freight companies and a lot of paperwork to move this thing and ultimately its cheaper to pay an agent to handle it. I agree with you too on spending the money to ship it, its always best to wear equipment your comfortable and familiar with even if it cost you more.
Russell