vang vs traveler

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Boyd

vang vs traveler

Post by Boyd »

Hi All:

I am at the point of redoing some of my gear. One thing high on the list is replacing the old lame traveler with a new track, car and pulley system.

Would a new rigid vang be as effective as the traveler at flattening the main? The rigid vang is actually a simpler system due to the single control line vs all those lines and pulleys on a traveler system.

Thanks for the input.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD 30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Vang vs. Traveler

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Boyd:
It's apples and oranges. Use the vang for flattening the main when on a reach. If it's a non-rigid vang, it can be used as a preventer when sailing downwind. (Yes, I know some sailors disagree with this.)
Use the traveler to depower the main and so reduce weather helm. Hard on the wind, the traveler can bring the boom back up to midships and improve your pointing.
I've always maintained that a vang is the most cost effective performance improvement you can add to your boat.
The OEM travelers on our boats are difficult to use, therefore we don't use them and suffer from the resulting compromises in performance. A modern ball bearing Garhauer or Harken traveler may look intimidating with its maze of lines, but there's really only one line to pull to adjust the traveler. Once you have one, you'll wonder why you didn't add it sooner!
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
In smoky San Diego
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Vang & topping lift

Post by Carter Brey »

Boyd,

I agree heartily with everything Anthony says, and would add that a rigid vang would enable you to get rid of your topping lift.

Carter
Boyd

Thanks guys

Post by Boyd »

As much as I would like to eliminate the topping lift its required for the Dutchman system to work, so I guess I am stuck with that.

Still not sure which I should get first the traveler or vang. I have a line vang but find it doesnt flatten the main much.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.