Anthony P. Jeske

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Anthony P. Jeske

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Tony,

After reading your question on anti-sieze, when I went to reply, I couldn't find your post. I know that I read it, but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyhow, here's my suggestion. Obtain a nut and bolt of different metals, preferably of those used for installing the zinc. Coat both parts liberally with the anti-sieze brand that you normally use.

Assemble the bolt and nut. Set your multimeter on resistance. Contact one probe on the nut and the other probe on the bolt.

This way you can check to see if the anti-sieze insulates the thread contact, impedes current flow and negates the sacrificial effectiveness.

Good luck
O J
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Copper

Post by Parfait's Provider »

OJ,

Don't most anti-seize compounds contain copper, a fine conductor?
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Anti-Sieze

Post by Oswego John »

Ken,

I'm glad that someone has their thinking cap on tonight.

The stuff I use, JVE Compound 2,000, says copper on the container and you can see it's color in the paste

I guess that the compound I have must be the cheapo version from the Dollar Store. It just won't develope a nice patina :D, although it does the job effectively.

http://www.jmesales.com/Results.aspx?ca ... GgodNF16Dg

O J
tartansailor

Anti Sieze Compounds

Post by tartansailor »

"Z" Powder, also called "Molykote" is a molybdenum disulfide dry lubricant used to prevent siezure in plastic extrusion dies. It is manufactured by the Dow Corning Corp. and meets mil spec M7866.

If you do not want to spend the big bucks for this stuff, try pipe joint compound but it MUST contain teflon.

Dick
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Missing Post

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi OJ:
Another one of those "five minute jobs"! After several tries, I couldn't get the photo to post and so deleted the post until I could figure out what went wrong. I guess I really din't need the photo after all,since you answered my question.
Thanks!
Tony