Jack Stand Size For a CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

satu

Jack Stand Size For a CD27

Post by satu »

Hello,
I've been renting a set of jack stands from my boatyard for many years @ $125/yr. After having paid for them several times over, I've decided to buy a set .

My boat is a CD27, and I suspect that 48"-65" jack stands would work. Can anyone confirm this or provide apppropriate size info ?

Appreciate your help on this.

Craig Urquhart
CD27 Satu 1984 #272
Brunswick, Maine
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

From the Brownell Web Site it looks like SB-2 48" 65"

How to Choose
Type: The correct type of boat stand (sailboat vs. motorboat) is determined by the angle between the hull and the stands center pipe. The threaded rod from the top that enters the stands center pipe should do so at approximately a 90° angle to the boats hull. For example, a motor boat with a deep vee bow would use a pair of sailboat stands at the bow, with motor boat stands at the stern.
Size: To determine the proper Brownell Boat Stands to use, you first must realize the boat stands are to stabilize your boat and the keel blocking supports the boats weight. A simple method would be to take the draft of the boat (in inches), add the height of the blocking pile, and subtract about six inches. Base your decision on keeping a minimum amount of thread exposed on the top.

Number Required: A minimum of four boat stands should be used with powerboats and a minimum of five boat stands should be used with sailboats. One exception: a full keel sailboat may not require a bow stand. Use a pair of boat stands, one placed port and one placed starboard, for approximately each 8 feet of the boat's length. If you are going to be stored in an extremely windy area or leaving a sailboat mast stepped, extra boat stands should be used in addition to our minimum requirements.

Liability: Because the performance and safety of boat stands is dependent on the way they are used, the manufacturer assumes no liability beyond the purchase price of the boat stands.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

I found a ad on "craigslist" for stands. It turned out to be a friend of mine who was selling them. $150 I got myself 4 stands for a fraction of what it would have cost to purchase. If you purchase used check them very carefully for corrosion before purchase. Here is the link for the boat section on "Craigslist Maine" http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/
[img]http://www.cd27spirit.us/images/cd27home.jpg[/img]
satu

Good Advice

Post by satu »

Thank You Rich & Ray,
The Brownel sizing summary gets to the point and makes sense.....

I'm chasing some used stands posted locally; the source of my 48"-65" dimenson, but have yet to get a call back.

Finding 4 solid properly sized jack stands for $150 would make for a great day.

I'll be checking Craigslist and keeping my fingers crossed. Spirit is looking very good, by the way.

Thanks again,

Craig Urquhart
Satu CD27 #272
Brunswick, Me