Sailmakers in MA/RI

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kemah

Sailmakers in MA/RI

Post by Kemah »

My new-to-me boat has, I think, original sails, and I've been talking with a number of lofts in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

As "ricks" said in an almost identical post on new sails in Feb., 2005, the frustrating thing is that almost everyone has a different recommendation on almost everything.

Here is the list of lofts that I'm considering now:

Squeteague/Cape Cod Sailmakers
Doyle (Dartmouth and Salem/Marblehead lofts)
Thurston
Downs (Danvers)

I would really appreciate hearing of others' experiences with these lofts or others in the RI/MA area.
Ron M.

Did well by me

Post by Ron M. »

Take a look at Harding Sailmakers , Marion, Ma. also.
________
Medical marijuana
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
Clay Stalker

Thurston

Post by Clay Stalker »

I had Thurston's in Bristol make me a mainsail for my old Shannon 28. Price was competitive and the sail, a Quantum full-batten, was fine. I didn't have the boat long after that, so can't speak to longevity....but the experience was fine and I would use them again. Also have bought North sails from Anson Sailmakers in Portsmouth, NH in the past and have been satisfied with them as well.
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Two out of Three Ain't Bad

Post by Joe Myerson »

Kemah,

I've had experience with Squeteague Sailmakers: Mark Daniels, the owner, is a friend and neighbor. He made a new mainsail for my Marshall Sanderling (the original was, coincidentally, a Thurston), he converted my hank-on working jib to roller furling and he made a new mainsail for my Cape Dory.

He does excellent work, but he is also expensive.

Last winter I wanted a genoa jib. Mark gave me an estimate; I also went to Doyle -- because one of their salespeople is the husband of a colleague. He gave me a slightly better price and put in a rope luff pad (Mark would have used foam, but advised against it).

I'm satisfied with Doyle, too.

I guess my answer doesn't really help you: I'd go with either. Squeteague will do quick repairs and give you more custom service than Doyle (at least here on Squeteague Harbor--they're just up the road). But I think Doyle is a bit less expensive, and their sails are very well made. (If you have a standard size, they make them in Asia, but that doesn't mean they aren't well made.)

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

I have had good experience with Harding in Marion. They have made a yankee sail and all covers for my CD330, as well as sails and a cover for my O'Day 19' daysailer. I was happy with the quality and everything has held up well.
mahalocd36

Jasper & Bailey

Post by mahalocd36 »

We are very happy with our new sails from Jasper & Bailey in Newport RI.

http://www.jasperandbailey.com/
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Bob Condon

sailmaker

Post by Bob Condon »

I used Doyle In Salem, Mass for a new sail, washing and maintenance of my older Genuas.

Competative price plus I got to talk to them where the
off shore sailmakers just give you what you ask even if it is foolish.
Bob Condon
Sailing Soldier

formerly CD 28 #177

Doyle in East Greenwich, RI

Post by Sailing Soldier »

I was very pleased with Doyle Sails in East Greewich, RI. I had a new set of cruising sails put on my CD28. She sailed like a new boat!